function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Erich.WeihrauchErich.Weihrauch 

How to enable/show or disable/hide a field when a case type does not match a value...

Good morning all.
I'm hoping someone will respond to my inquiry this time.

I currently have a custom field for cases called RMA_Requst.
Basically its an autonumber field, used for issuing an RMA #.  The problem is, I only want it to be there, active and incrementing if a case type is selected as being an RMA Request.  I tried doing this through an S-Control and it doesn't work, instead it just shows some values on the case page where I have it on the layout.  I'm using Salesforce Professional if that makes a difference in linking or coding...
How would I enable/disable this thing?
RickyGRickyG
I know this would be pretty easy to do with an Apex Code trigger, but Apex Code is not available in Professional Edition.

- Rick Greenwald
Developer Evangelist
Erich.WeihrauchErich.Weihrauch

Is there anything available in the professional edition to do this?

Or would it be better to create a field and then have it populated by an external source (is that even possible)?

I keep looking all over Salesforce for ideas and how-to's but everything just seems so cryptic, and I'm a power user.

bjohnsonbjohnson
I'm pretty sure you could use a Workflow for this. Although, you wouldn't get contigous numbers. You could do something like have a hidden autonumber. Create a wroflow rule to triger only when the correct category is selected. Use a field update action to populate RMA#. It will give you distinct numbers; however, there will be gaps in the numbers where non rma's were created.

Message Edited by bjohnson on 02-08-2008 12:36 PM