function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EdLTechEdLTech 

Extending the Document module

Hello,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I'd like to extend the Document module to support additional metadata for searching and some sort of document hierarchy.  What is the best way to approach this?  I am new to sforce, but if some can point me in the right direction on solving this problem I think I'll be able to figure it out.  This would be written in .NET.  Ideally, it would be something that could be integrated with any implementation of salesforce.com (not for just one specific customer).

Thanks

Ed

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi EdLtech,

There is no easy way to do this.  My first inclination would be custom objects for folders and custom object that have the attachment functionality for the actual documents, but there is a limited number of levels of heirarchy that can be maintained.  Look in that direction.  Of course this would not be available for every customer unless they created your custom objects.

EdLTechEdLTech

Dave,

Let's ignore the folder hierarchy issue for a minute.  If we keep it simple, and only want to extended some custom fields on Documents, where would we start?

Basically, I'd like to add say a "Skills" field to a document and make it searchable.

Thanks for your help,

Ed

DevAngelDevAngel
The document object is not extendable, meaning that you cannot add custom fields to it.
EdLTechEdLTech
Do you have any suggestions for third-party tools that integrate with Salesforce that provide resume/candidate tracking capabilities?
mike kreadenmike kreaden

There is no in-market solution (Ready or Certified) which handles recruiting. 

I have seen many solutions built using Studio which extends salesforce.com to handle the recruiting process, including resume management.  This would make for an interesting packaged solution.

EdLTechEdLTech

Indeed, very interesting.    This is the type of solution that we are trying to either integrate with or develop.  It is no small effort, especially since we would have to esstentially provide a new document management system.

Did you know that there is this "recruitforce.com" out there that is basically taking on salesforce.com for the recruiting space?

When you say "built using Studio" do you mean Visual Studio .NET?

DevAngelDevAngel
No, built using Studio means using custom objects and so forth from Sforce Studio.