function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
StatBoyAStatBoyA 

Nonprofit Template "New Contact" Tab "save" button - NO ACTION

To All,

I've discovered that the "New Contact" tab in the SalesForce non-profit template instance I'm now working on does NOTHING when I fill in data and then click the "save" button.

I've really hardly performed any diagnostics at all at this point, but figured my first effort should be to see if anyone ELSE had run into this same problem.

I'm running an account with "system administrator" profile.  The profile has "API Access" enabled, and sharing settings are set to allow both read and write of "contacts" and "household" objects are set to "public read/write".  

One other thing to mention:  I could SWEAR I tested this a couple months ago and found it working correctly.  But I don't have that FIRMLY documented, and I have just returned from 4 weeks of vacation, so it's possible I'm really not remembering that correctly.

Thanks much.

Larry
SteveBowerSteveBower
Are you using Firefox 3?  If so, try with another browser.

All s-controls built with the Beta version of the Ajax toolkit (as I believe that one was), no longer work with Firefox 3.

I'm not sure that's the problem you're experiencing, but it's an easy thing to try. 

Steve.

StatBoyAStatBoyA
Steve,

NICE guess.  FireFox 3.x it is!

I actually had the thought that my recently installed FireFox updates may have been at issue. 

And I ALSO had suspected the BETA toolkit. 

So I actually HAVE been digging into conversions to one of the "production" toolkits.  (However, I'm also running into difficulties with that (if interested, see my thread on "S-Control 'invalid_session_id'" in "Ajax Toolkit & S-controls". 

Can you tell me?  If I convert any of these S-Controls to "production" toolkits, is there a way for me to feed those back into the non-profit template.  I hate to think of someone else REPEATING that work if I manage successful conversions...

I'll give IE a try and see what happens. I'll report back here to confirm results whatever the outcome...

Thanks for the suggestion...
StatBoyAStatBoyA
For the information of anyone interested..

In the copy of the non-profit template I'm working with, the S-Control at issue is "Household_Create_Contact_and_Household_from_Tab". 

This S-control does indeed use the beta 3.3 Ajax Toolkit.

I was using FireFox V3.0.3 when the problem arose. 

With Internet Explorer V7.0.5730, the "New Contact" tab functions appear to work correctly.
SteveBowerSteveBower
I'm not entirely sure what the plans for the NP Template are.  They put out a blog post recently: 
http://blogs.salesforce.com/nonprofit/2008/10/sneak-peak-nonp.html,   however it appears to not be there now.  There is some new stuff is coming to support householding.

I suggest you join the Nonprofit Salesforce.com Practitioners Google group at:

http://groups.google.com/group/npsf?hl=en

and raise the discussion there.   My personal bet is that doing things the s-control way is becoming obsolete and that it's a better long term plan to use Visualforce/Apex.

Best perhaps to wait until after Dreamforce before you go investing large amounts of time.  I don't think it would actually take all that long to convert them to the production toolkit, but it takes even less time to not use Firefox sometimes, at least until the future directions are clearer.  :-)

Just my $.02, Steve.

StatBoyAStatBoyA
Steve,

Thanks for the thoughts. 

Those uses of the beta toolkit have nagged at me for some time.  I've converted ONE to V13.0 now and since that's the steep part of the learning curve and I'm a sometimes stubborn person, this might be the community's "opportunity" to get those conversions done. 

But of course, if a complete abandonment is planned for the near future, I'll judge that differently.  The folks working with the SalesForce instance I'm working with prefer FireFox, but WILL switch to IE if that's the easy solution.  Maybe it will be. 

Thanks again.