function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Darla.ax69Darla.ax69 

No web links in DescribeLayout

I just ran the new DescribeLayout call and was disappointed to find that web links aren't included in the results... Is this intentional or a bug? Or (hopefully) am I just missing something?

Thanks,

=> Darla
benjasikbenjasik
This was intentional. We don't expose which merge fields map to which api fields for a given entity.

If we provided WIL execution via the API, we thought this would be useful.

How would you want to use them given that we can't give you a mapping of the merge fields to api fields yet?
Darla.ax69Darla.ax69
We make a product that runs from within salesforce.com from 5 different WILs. I know what these are; they're the same for every customer. But they're long and cumbersome to ask users to type in. For example:

https://servername/account.html?userID={!User_ID}&userName={!User_Username}&sessionID={!API_Session_ID}&serverID={!API_Partner_Server_URL_40}&accountID={!Account_ID}&accountName={!Account_Name}&address={!Account_BillingAddress}&city={!Account_BillingCity}&state={!Account_BillingState}&zip={!Account_BillingPostalCode}&country={!Account_BillingCountry}

Since I can now create WebLinks via the API, I created an app that runs as an installer to create the web links. The only thing missing now is the ability to add the web links to a page layout. I still have to ask users to do that manually.

Well, adding custom fields via the API is also missing, but that's another topic...

I don't quite understand your question, since I can get everything I need from the URL above.

=> Darla
benjasikbenjasik
It sounds like you are asking for the ability to add web links to a page layout via the API? describeLayout is a read-only API, we are working on additional metadata APIs for the future.

Or are you interested in writing the code to evaluate a WIL on your end?
Darla.ax69Darla.ax69
The first thing I'd like to do is be able to see if a web link is already in a page layout. That way I would know whether or not I need to tell the user to manually add it.

But yes, ideally I would like to be able to add web links to the page layout.

=> Darla
sbarstowsbarstow
I would for one be very interested in being able to execute WIL on my portal ( i am running an instance of your O/S partner portal ). Any plans to move this along?