function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
pmozzpmozz 

sforce connector error message

Using the sforce connector in excel when I query the Account table I keep getting an error message that says "error generated by request::duplicate field selected: Account_Type_c" 

I have no problems with the queries as long as I do not try to query the Account table.  It does not seem to matter which field I am querying from the Account table as I always receive the same message.  I do not experience this error when querying the Opportunity or contacts table.  To me, it looks like it is showing some sort of custom field -- any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks!

Patti

ScotScot

Patti,

This error occurs when the connector issues a request to salesforce.com that has, as described, a duplicate field.

I suspect that you've got two fields (one standard salesforce.com field, and one custom field) which have the same label, but different names.

For example, you could have:

Name: Type, Label: Account Type   (this is a default salesforce.com field)
and
      Name: Account_Type__c, Label: Account Type (this would be your custom field)

If so, then here's what's happening ...

The connector displays the labels in column headings, to make your job working with the fields easy. Then, when talking to salesforce.com, it translates the labels into the names required by the API. So, when doing a DESCRIBE, it would generate two columns with the Account Type label.

When you try to do a query or update, however, the table lookups it does to translate the label back to the field name will translate both to the same field ... in this case, Account_Type__c, producing the error.

You should be able to fix it in either of two ways:

1. In the salesforce.com setup, change the heading of one of the fields so that the headings are unique.
  2. In the connector, assuming you are using the latest version, pick the "Options" function, choose the third tab "Use Names" and uncheck the box. Then do a new describe for the Account (you'll get the item names rather than labels), and it should work.

I'd prefer the first, because it lets you continue to work with the labels. That option switch changes the approach for all usage globally, so you'd need to use the names rather than labels everywhere.

Scot

Message Edited by Scot on 01-11-2005 05:25 PM

pmozzpmozz

Scott - thanks much! your first suggestion worked just fine.  I still receive a second error message whenever I try to run the Account query regardless of field.  I get "invalid label 5/1/2005" - any other thoughts?  Thanks again.

Patti