function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ldtechldtech 

Error when attempting to read the WSDL

When attempting to retrieve the WSDL through a simple function I get the return error:

Unable to parse WSDL as an XML document.
Parsing error: Fatal Error: URI=null Line=20: The reference to entity "startURL" must end with the ';' delimiter.
It is recommended that you use a web browser to retrieve and examine the requested WSDL document to ensure it is correct.

I have of course checked the URL (https://na2.salesforce.com/services/wsdl/metadata) to insure it appears correct.  I even tried downloading it as a WSDL file and storing it in my local space (but it won't read the url as a webservice even as localhost).  I also tried storing it as a webservice in my admin tools (I'm using coldfusion, the setup for this is rather easy), and it returned an error as well (Error creating web service. Please ensure that you have entered a correct Web Service name or URL.).

I'm using Coldfusion 8 mixed with an IIS 7 server on Vista if that helps at all.  Thanks for any and all help :)

P.S. I double checked that I am using the correct login credentials for Salesforce as well.

Message Edited by ldtech on 04-16-2008 11:11 AM
ldtechldtech
Alright, I found that I was using the wrong url (since firefox didn't properly download the xml).  After switching it to metadata.xml I got it installed as a webservice on my CF server.  I'll post more updates as they come after I figure out how to get it to connect properly :)
mshelmanmshelman
I'm thinking though that the metadata wsdl is not what you want. The metadata wsdl actually gives the capability to add custom fields through the metadata api -- actually change your schema. For regular SFDC operations - queries, updates, inserts - you use either the Enterprise or Partner wsdl
ldtechldtech
Thanks, I was wondering why it kept saying the login method didn't exist :p