function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RRESRRES 

Making changes to the softphone interface (adding editable fields from lead, contact objects)

Hey Everyone,

I thought there used to be a specific message board for TAPI but I don't see it anymore. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has edited or created a new softphone interface that allows users to update custom and standard fields from the phone component, similar to recording the comments of a phone call in the area provided. Any direction on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf

No softphone created with the CTI Toolkit has a customizable call log area.

One idea is to take a standard softphone and have it pop to a Visualforce page that contains the lead and contact items you want your agents to edit.

You might also investigate Model Metrics PerfectCall -- that's pretty much what it does, and it sits on top of a standard CTI adapter.

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf
Right now the call log area of the softphone is limited only to the Name and Related To objects and the comments box.  You are not presently able to add additional fields there.
SpunkySpunky

To preface this email, I am not a developer and am working with a 3rd party vendor that has not integrated with salesforce before and as you can imagine, this is off to a rugged start.

I know the standard sfdc softphone doesn't support customization of the call log area.

What I was wondering was, if our developer created a custom softphone, can the call log area be customized or will it hit this limitation as well?

werewolfwerewolf

No softphone created with the CTI Toolkit has a customizable call log area.

One idea is to take a standard softphone and have it pop to a Visualforce page that contains the lead and contact items you want your agents to edit.

You might also investigate Model Metrics PerfectCall -- that's pretty much what it does, and it sits on top of a standard CTI adapter.

This was selected as the best answer
SpunkySpunky

You're fantastic. Thanks so much for the fast response.

The developer is insisting that it can be done and i have had my reservations so thanks so much for clearing that up.

I will look into the options you suggested.

bikerdan76bikerdan76

Just curious... How is PerfectCall sitting on top of a CTI adapter?  It looks like its 100% flex.  In the demo, they're running it on a Mac in Safari... Are they just using their own backend and not the Salesforce CTI?

werewolfwerewolf

No, they are in fact sitting on top of CTI, they're just mimicking the Javascript calls that CTI makes.  Actually they're only really mimicking one call, the click to dial one.

bikerdan76bikerdan76

I see.  So they're using javascript to call out to the COM object?

Edit:  But how do you explain it working in Safari on a Mac?

werewolfwerewolf

Sort of, I guess.  CTI pretty much works by grabbing these Javascript calls and allowing them to interact with the CTI DLL, although I don't know that I'd exactly characterize it as "using Javascript to call out to a COM object."

If it works on Safari on a Mac it is not working with CTI.  Presumably PerfectCall can work standalone too -- all it really uses CTI to do is initiate the outbound call.  If you're OK with doing that manually then all the rest of its features will work fine.

bikerdan76bikerdan76

Is there any way to run custom javascript from the softphone?  My goal is to be able to open a div  layer or something similar when a user clicks on one of the softphone buttons.

Thanks!