function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dcarlsondcarlson 

SMB - Do I Need to use the API

I am new to Salesforce development and am trying to get my mind wrapped around all of the new terms and the system structure.

I am thinking of creating an AppExchange App that will be directed primarily towards Small to Medium Sized Businesses (5-15 people). Unfortunately, it seems from the Salesforce Cookbook PDF that the Salesforce Edition these Businesses are likely to use would not include API Access.

My App will need to find an Account ID or a Contact ID from a phone number. Is it possible to do this without using the API?

If not, how can any App targeted at the SOHO market be useful?

Thanks,
Dan
Greg HGreg H
When you become an AppExchange partner you essentially get a "key" that you can use in non-API enabled orgs.  This allows you to use the API in those orgs for your app.  However, due to security they will not let you use this key in sControl apps because the source code is visible to the users.  If an sControl app is what you'd build then you'd need to utilize Flex or something similar in order to hide the key.
-greg
dcarlsondcarlson
Greg,

Thanks very much for your reply, this is good news. Since we are planning a Client Application it seems this will work well for us.

Thanks again,
Dan
jbjbjbjb
Greg,
Does that work for all editions - even Group? Or is it limited to Professional?
Thanks.