function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kenji776Kenji776 

Some stuff my users want, not sure if is possible

Hello all,
This is probably not quite the right area for this question, but I could not find a better spot, so admins feel free to move it, I won't be offended :P Anyway, my users have requested a few features, which despite my trying I haven't through of a good way to do.

1) Case age incremental counter. Basically, every day a case is not closed, they want the age to increment by one. The catch is, if a case goes to closed, then reopens, they want the counter to zero out, and restart. So a regular formula that calculates based on createdate, and closed date, or now() won't help. Perhaps a C# app that logins in once a night and increments all open cases by one day? Is there a better way. I wanted to use workflow rules, but the timed triggers only occure once if I understand them correctly, so this wouldn't work. Anyone have any good ideas?

2) Ability to automatically change case status on the send an email page. They state that it is a bit of a hassle to go change the case status after they send an email. Once we send an email we always change the case status to "waiting for customer". Again perhaps a workflow rule would work here, but not totally sure how I would impliment it. As a side note, can you customize the send an email page at all? I was unable to find an area you were could customize that page at all. It seems to be classified as a Task, but nowhere did I see a page layout, or set of record types that specify it as an email page.

3) Autopopulate a field. For some reason they would like a case that is created for an accout to automatically pull some info from the account for easy rerfence. For instance, the account keeps track of what software an account uses. They would like that same information on the case as well. I don't really care if you can do this or not, but I would at least like to provide proof that it can't be done, or would be a ton of work.

Anyway, let me know what you think about the above questions. Let me know if I can provide more info of be of more help.
werewolfwerewolf
1) Case age incremental counter. Basically, every day a case is not closed, they want the age to increment by one. The catch is, if a case goes to closed, then reopens, they want the counter to zero out, and restart. So a regular formula that calculates based on createdate, and closed date, or now() won't help. Perhaps a C# app that logins in once a night and increments all open cases by one day? Is there a better way. I wanted to use workflow rules, but the timed triggers only occure once if I understand them correctly, so this wouldn't work. Anyone have any good ideas?

Make a custom field storing a datetime of "Last Opened."  Make a workflow rule that records in that field the last time the Status field was changed from a closed status to an open status (or the datetime the case was created).  Make a formula field that subtracts Last Opened from NOW() and rounds it down.

2) Ability to automatically change case status on the send an email page. They state that it is a bit of a hassle to go change the case status after they send an email. Once we send an email we always change the case status to "waiting for customer". Again perhaps a workflow rule would work here, but not totally sure how I would impliment it. As a side note, can you customize the send an email page at all? I was unable to find an area you were could customize that page at all. It seems to be classified as a Task, but nowhere did I see a page layout, or set of record types that specify it as an email page.

Use Workflow From Email Messages.  You have to turn on email to case to do this, even if you're not actually using it -- once you do you'll see that you can now create workflows from Email Message that can change the Case status.

3) Autopopulate a field. For some reason they would like a case that is created for an accout to automatically pull some info from the account for easy rerfence. For instance, the account keeps track of what software an account uses. They would like that same information on the case as well. I don't really care if you can do this or not, but I would at least like to provide proof that it can't be done, or would be a ton of work.

Do you mean default items on the edit page from the get-go, or set them after the case is saved?  For the latter you can just use a Workflow field update.
Kenji776Kenji776
Thank you very much for your answers. Thanks to you, I got two of those features implemented already. I am still working on the counter thing, as I don't totally grasp it. It's been a long day, my brain is probably just fried. Thanks so much for the help.
Kenji776Kenji776
Hey,
Sorry to be dense, but will your solution on work if it goes from being open to closed, to open again once? It seems like it wouldn't work in a situation where it gets opened and close repeatedly. Maybe I'm just stupid, which is probably the case. Wait.. maybe it does make sense....
Anyway, the workflow rule would be something like...

Is this right? I think so, but it's early, and who knows :P Thanks!
werewolfwerewolf
No, that won't work because your criteria aren't quite right.

First: make that LastOpened field have a default value of NOW() (and take it off the page layout) so that when people open a case it'll get set automatically to the current time.

Here's what your workflow rule should look like (note you have to set it to "Every Time The Case Is Created Or Edited"):

And the field update should set the LastOpened field to NOW() again.

Kenji776Kenji776
Werewolf, Ah thank you. You rock!
I got pretty close to that setup after I posed that thread and realized I was kinda wrong with those pictures I posted, but I didn't think of simplifying my conditions by using a formula. Thanks!