function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
len123len123 

Web 2 Case with Trigger VS. Web Service

Hi all,

We are doing at my company an integration project between SF and another internal web application.

One of the requirements is that when a user in the internal system wants to change details it will update his contact in SF.

2 implementation ways came up:

1. Have him fill a web 2 case form, the case will be opened in SF and using a trigger inside SF I will update the contact details and then close the case.

2. Use a web service - and update the contact directly without the need of the case.

The case has no meaning. The only reason this issue came up is to avoid writing a web service which technically takes more development time than a trigger.

The 2 options technically will work but the Web 2 Case, logically, is not right.

I would like to hear your suggestions please.

Thanks! 

werewolfwerewolf
I'd say you'd be better off putting up a PHP page or something similar (and by the way it seems like you'd be better off using Web To Lead than Web To Case anyway).  The problem with Web2X in this case is that it's not going to show the existing information from the contact; you can't make it show that my current address in your system is 123 Main St.  As such you'd probably want to make a PHP (JSP, ASPX, etc) page that queries for this information via the API, allows the user to change it, and submits any changes back via the API.