function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BfrankBfrank 

Workflow Rule and Field Update

I have created a workflow rule on an Account Object, which updates the Account Record type from Unsigned Group to Signed Group, when the Account status changes from Unsigned to Signed and if the Insurance type custom field is Group. However, the rule doesnt seem to be working?

Also, The Account status is workflow field update on its own. So when the Opportunity Stage changes to Closed Won, the Account status changes to Signed from Unsigned, and this is working fine. 

Is it because the first workflow relies on the second workflow rule to update its value?

JCoppedgeJCoppedge

Yes, I remember reading somewhere in the docs that workflow rules will not trigger other.  Try creating two separate workflow rules (one for closed/won & one for close/won with all other conditions true also).

MarkSilberMarkSilber
JCoppedge is correct -- workflows cannot fire other workflows (with the exception of Case Comments and Case Emails which can update the parent Case and then fire workflows associated to the Case). Also, you cannot specify the order of execution for workflows. In Spring 09 the capability to have cross-object workflows will allow you to update a parent record from a workflow on the detail (child) record -- this should also fire workflows on the parent, but I don't think that's applicable in this case.
shillyershillyer

Spring '09 Cross-Object workflow will only support custom objects. You can learn more here.

Best,

Sati

xmikedevxmikedev
Am I blind? I cannot get this to work. The demo at the link that you posted does not go past page 2.
AkiTAkiT

Same here, not working. (the demo nor the feature)

Did this cross object workflow ever get delivered in Spring 09 ?

When creating field update for a workflow on a child object of Master-Detail relationship, I cannot choose the parent object, opposite to what is said in the release notes.

IvinIvin
I dont seem to see this workflow cross object in Spring 09 too. I read that this feature is available in all editions but require some setup. Can someone provide guidance on how to setup/enable this feature?
MarkSilberMarkSilber

You need to find 2 objects that are related to each other via a Master-Detail Relationship. Then create a field update workflow using the child object. In the Field to Update, chose a text, currency or number field (picklist and lookup don't work). Select "Use a formula to set the new value". When in the formula editor, you can use the Insert Field option to drill through to other related objects, including drilling through the master (parent) object to it's other related objects by clicking on fields with a ">" symbol next to them.

I'm pretty sure you can only perform updates on the children record based on values from it's parent or objects related to the parent, not the other way around.

IvinIvin

Not sure if this makes sense but what I am experiencing is this.

I have a DE created last Dec and initially, I do not see the selection for parent object after I clicked on Update Field in the workflow. Then, I created 2 new custom objects, make a master-detail r/s between the 2 objects. Now I create a workflow for the child object, I get to select which object to update.

I've got other DEs created more recently, and I do not need to do this. I can immediataly see the object selection field.

MarkSilberMarkSilber
I think I'm following along -- but are you are saying that in your original dev org you had master-detail objects and couldn't drill through? In all our production and sandbox orgs (and there are lots of them), we are able to see the cross object workflow functionality without doing any special - including on objects that were created over a year ago.
IvinIvin

Hi Mark,

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I thought I was seeing the wrong thing and I actually checked this out in 3 of my DEs.

When I first didnt see the object selection field, I was testing the workflow on the Recruitment application (Job Application and Position objects).

MarkSilberMarkSilber
Well I can see how that would be confusing. Sounds like a possible bug -- but at least it also sounds like it may have been limited to DE orgs.
tjbtjb

Hi All,

I cannot see the cross-object workflow funcationality in both my Enterprise, my Development, nor my Sandboxes.  

I can create a Field Update, select "Case Comment" as the object, and I see the dual drop down allowing me to select "Case Comment" or "Case" to update (Cross-object functionality)

But for any other master-detail child objects, whether custom or standard, i cannot see the cross-object selections as above. 

I have nothing under my "Critical Updates" which leads me to believe my orgs have already been updated.

Any ideas?

(I also tried with 2 brand new custom object... no dice).

:(

tjb

MarkSilberMarkSilber

The behavior for this function is different than for Case Comments and Email Messages since you are picking related objects from lists. To use this for a custom object, you need to use a Field Update workflow but build a formula to actually update the field.

1. Create a new Field Update Workflow Action (you can start by building your field updates and then associate them to an existing workflow using the " Select Existing Action" option on the main workflow).
  2. In the Object dropdown, chose the child object you want to update the field on.
  3. In the Field to Update dropdown, chose the field you want to update. This cannot be a picklist or lookup field.
  4. In the Specify New Field Value area, Text Options, choose the " Use a formula to set the new value " radio button. A new formula editor box will be displayed.
  5. Click the Insert Field button
  6. In the popup window, there are 2 areas displayed. The left side shows the available sources, including the object you are working with and the standard $User type options. The right side shows a list of available fields. Keep the selection the way it was when the popup opened -- set to your custom object (the first value)
  7. In the right pane, you will notice some of the fields have a " > " next to them. These are showing the fields that define the relationship between your object and another object
  8. By clicking on the field with the " > ", you can browse through all the fields on the object that is related to this object. You will also see fields on the related objects that also have " > " next to them. You can continue to drill through to get the field you want up-to 5 levels deep.
  9. The end result of the formula may be something as simple as "  Idea__r.Community.Name ". Although this looks simple -- this formula will actually return the Name field for the Community object associated to the Idea object that is associated to my custom object. This is an example of a 2 level drill through. The object you are building the workflow on will not show in the formula since you already chose what field to update in the dropdown list earlier. This formula is showing what value will be used when the workflow field updates your custom object field.

I think the biggest confusion is that you are not using picklists to select fields like with Case Comment and Email Message. You must use the formula and drill through using the " > " selections.

I hope this helps.

Message Edited by Mark Silber on 03-12-2009 06:29 AM
GoForceGoGoForceGo

This doesn't work for me either.

Mark, your instructions are on how to set the value of a field on a child object to that of the parent field. 

What Spring 09 is supposed to do is to set the value of a field on a parent object based upon a workflow that gets triggered on child object.

Ivan, in my DE org that i had created a year ago, I tried adding new parent/child objects and seeing if it works for them...it didn't.

The demo on the release website doesn't show it eaither.

Seems like an issue in salesforce - can someone in Salesforce confirm that this is a bug and if there a workaround?

IvinIvin
Have you tried opening up your org in Eclipse and have it updated to Spring 09? When I was adding new custom objects into my DE, I also had Eclipse opened and updated the DE.
MarkSilberMarkSilber

As a workaround (I've used this in the past), you can set a workflow to fire on a Roll-up Summary Field on the master object. Depending on your specific use case, this may or may not work, but here's an example of one I've done in the past:

Setup a roll-up summary field on the Parent object that counts child records using a specific criteria. For my example, when the Child object Status field = In Process, it counts as a 1 on my Master object roll-up field.

In my workflow rule on the parent object, I have a field update that looks at the roll-up field -- if it's greater than 0 then I change the Parent sub status to field to "Extension In Process".

Obviously this is different than cross object formula fields from child to parent, but might work depending on your use case. The roll-up summary field workflow functionality has worked since roll-up summary fields were introduced.

GoForceGoGoForceGo

Ivan,

I am not sure what you mean. I use eclipse regularly and I am using it update my DE org data.

DE org, I assume is automatically updated to Spring 09 right now.

IvinIvin

Hi GoForceGo,

What I meant was, when Spring 09 was rolled out, I opened my DE in Eclipse (I dont usually need to use Eclipse for my Salesforce work).

There was a notification which says update to Spring 09. When the updates was taking place, I was also looking for the cross object workflow feature in Salesforce (front end). When I could not see it in the extra fields in workflow setup page, I created new custom objects and those extra fields appeared.

It is still fuzzy and I am not sure which one of my actions triggered the new fields to appear.

If this is taking too long to figure out, maybe can get some pointers from Salesforce Support?

anandi krishnaanandi krishna
we cannot update some fields in workflow we are that fields please explain