function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jim BoudreauxJim Boudreaux 

Delete Dev Org

I just watched the Winter '09 Preview Webinar and learned that I need to create a new Developer Org to get the new features. Fine, but how do I delete my current dev org so I can use the same username and email address?
werewolfwerewolf
What about it gave you the idea that you need to delete your DE org?  It should just be automatically upgraded with the new features.  What specific new features do you need that you don't have now?
DupeNukemDupeNukem
Hi Jim,

I also had to do this.  I signed up for it from the force.com website.  I had to specify a different user name, but was able to use the same e-mail address.

And to answer the question of the person who first replied -- NO, these changes are NOT going to be applied to current DE orgs.  If you want to experiment with the newest features in Winter 09, you will need to sign up for a new dev. org, which is a pain, I know.

dkadordkador
Which features required you to create a new org?
DupeNukemDupeNukem
I created a new one to experiment with List Controllers, as well as the ability to attach files to custom objects created through a Vforce page.

For me, it's mostly about staying current with the enhancements that are out, and thinking of how those could be applied to our company's business.

It would be nice if the changes were applied automatically so I could keep some of my current test data and custom objects.

SuperfellSuperfell
Please read this post carefully. http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=general_development&message.id=22243

Unless you care about the license changes, there's no real need to update, certainly not to pickup VF changes.
mtbclimbermtbclimber

DupeNukem wrote:
And to answer the question of the person who first replied -- NO, these changes are NOT going to be applied to current DE orgs.  If you want to experiment with the newest features in Winter 09, you will need to sign up for a new dev. org, which is a pain, I know.

I don't know where this is coming from.  It is true that from time to time when we release a feature under the banner of "Developer Preview" that you must *either* sign up for a new org or login with your current org credentials through a special form but certainly for released features they are always released to all organizations that qualify for them.  If DE is qualified for them (which 90% of the time is the case) then *ALL* DE orgs get them - both new and existing.

If you do not feel your DE Org has the ability to utilize the new features please post here or log a case with the code you believe to be working only in new orgs. For example, does this not compile in your DE orgs that existed before Winter '09?

Code:
<apex:page standardController="Account" recordSetVar="accounts">
    <apex:pageBlock>
        <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!accounts}" var="a">
            <apex:column value="{!a.name}"/>
        </apex:pageBlockTable>
    </apex:pageBlock>
</apex:page>

That page uses the Standard List Controller for Account and should be available in all organizations that are now on the Winter '09 release that have the ability to create Visualforce pages (which includes DE).

I'm going to guess that this confusion is due to the staggering of our release process and that up until this past weekend many organizations (those on na2, na3, na4, na5 , emea and ap) were still on Summer '08.    Everyone should be on the new release at this point.

Please shout if you are still experiencing issues that lead you to believe you must create a new org.

Message Edited by mtbclimber on 10-13-2008 03:32 PM
JonPJonP
I can clear up this confusion.  Along with Winter '09, but apart from the actual code, our developer.force.com team released a new version of the Developer Edition template with many new customizations and community features.  These are not salesforce.com "product" features, and the only way to get them is to sign up for a new DE organization.

To answer the original question, you can just change your username in your original (old) Developer Edition organization, then sign up for a new organization.  Your username and email address can have different values, except that when you initially sign up your username will be the email address you put in the signup form, and your generated password will be sent to that email address.

Hope that puts this thread to rest.

Jon, Product Manager - salesforce.com
DupeNukemDupeNukem
Thanks, Andrew.  FYI, the recordsetvar attribute was NOT working, in the old Dev Org I was using.  It was running on na5, so I'm not sure if the update was still pending.

Also, this was addressed specifically in the last webinar I attended (09 Developer Highlights and Dreamforce Preview) on Oct. 7th.  It was a question posed by an audience member, and the presenter told us that we'd need to sign up for a new org.  Not sure if this was a miscommunication or not, but I certainly wasn't the only one who heard it.

Thanks for clarifying, though, for those like me who were/are confused.

mtbclimbermtbclimber
No problem. Just to be sure can you check TODAY with the code above in your org on na5 and confirm one way or another?

Thanks
Jim BoudreauxJim Boudreaux

JonP wrote:
I can clear up this confusion.  Along with Winter '09, but apart from the actual code, our developer.force.com team released a new version of the Developer Edition template with many new customizations and community features.  These are not salesforce.com "product" features, and the only way to get them is to sign up for a new DE organization.

To answer the original question, you can just change your username in your original (old) Developer Edition organization, then sign up for a new organization.  Your username and email address can have different values, except that when you initially sign up your username will be the email address you put in the signup form, and your generated password will be sent to that email address.

Hope that puts this thread to rest.

Jon, Product Manager - salesforce.com

Yes, that's it exactly. Thanks for clearing that up and for answering my question.
DupeNukemDupeNukem
Hi Andrew,

The code is now working in my na5 DE org.

Thanks!