function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
orikkerorikker 

Need Help on Workflow field update for Task Subject

I have a custom picklist for Tasks and I am trying to create a workflow that will update the Subject field with the value from this custom picklist field when create or save record.

The problem I have is that I am getting error for the Subject field formula in the field update rule.
in the formula field I type custom field name which is Type_Value__c and get this error:

Error: Formula result is data type (Text), incompatible with expected data type (Picklist).

Could you help me?
MVJMVJ
Try using the Case function in the formula to get the result you want. 

I.E.

CASE( Type_Value__c, "value1", "result1", "value2", "result2","else_result")

The Else_Result is what will be returned if you do not find a match.

The value is the picklist value.  The result is what will be returned when it finds a match.  In your case they may be the same.

Look at the help for picklists if you need more guidance.
orikkerorikker
I tried that it shows that the formula Case( Type_value__c ,"Inbound Call", "Inbound Call", "Outbound Call")
No syntax errors in merge fields or functions.

but when I save it

Error: Formula result is data type (Text), incompatible with expected data type (Picklist).

MVJMVJ

So you are updating a picklist filed with the value from another picklist?  If that is the case then I cam very confussed.  Since when you want to update a picklist the options that you have is to select the value from the picklist values, The one before or after the current value.

Are you sure you are in the correct place in the application?  You are looking at the the Field Update under Setup--> Workflows & Approvals --> Field Update?

orikkerorikker
I have to do that because I can not remove subject line from the task layout and I dont want users to type anything they want in the subejct on this layout. So I made subject read-only for users and created a picklist for this layout.
There is other task layout for regular tasks where subject is available for edit and they users are free to put what ever. That is why I can not use validation rules in this case and have to use workflow for the subject line when users use certain task record type. Hope that explains why I have to update subject from another picklist value.

So is there a way?  Could you help me please?

Thanks,.
jacqsjacqs
I am trying to do the same thing and I'm having the same problem!  Salesforce seems to register the subject field data type as a picklist, yet the update options available are those of a text field.