function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EMHDevEMHDev 

New System Log Console Pilot Feedback

I hope this is the correct place to post this, as I can't seem to get any response from support on this.  I've joined the new system log console pilot, but I can't get any data in it at all.  I'm using Firefox and what happens is that the log gets an Unread entry, when I click on the entry, either nothing at all happens (none of the panes are populated) or I then get an error:

it says "Salesforce System Error" and shows the code
221574575-9535
(-1278617611)

Not the best start to a pilot...

Has anyone got this working?

pswpsw

I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem. I've found the backtrace and have filed a bug report, and reached out to support to get in touch with you to get the rest of the details on this. In the meantime, the trace indicates there is something in the log output it wasn't able to process properly. Can you give me an idea of what action you were performing that created the log you were trying to view? Does a simple example of using the Execute window to run some trivial Apex code work for you?

Thanks,

Peter

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

I would like to echo psw's sentiments.  Can you please forward your case # to this thread as well as the details per psw's request.

We are committed to fixing this issue.

regards,

Taggart

EMHDevEMHDev

It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing, I get the same result.  The action that caused the error was when I was testing a trigger I'd written in the sandbox - creating an opportunity on an account.  However, I've tested the console with a Visualforce application I'm developing and I get the same thing.

Sequence is as follows: I enable logging in Setup and set filters to ignore validation, workflow and callouts. I then try out my application.  The log appears in the list of logs (or I click on 1 Unread to open the folddown pane).  I click on the line, it changes to Read but nothing shows up anywhere (Stack, Execution Log, Source, Executed Units all empty).  I double-click the line, one of three things happens:

1. it shows a dialog "Loading Log, sending request" and then displays an error with the some rather unfriendly error code,
  2. Nothing at all happens
  3. It shows the dialog, no error reported but nothing is shown.

Same thing happens to my trigger log.  I just tried putting some trivial apex code into Execute anonymous and it gave me a popup to enter the code and kept that up until it was happy with the code (showing error messages etc).  Once it was correct code, it briefly showed up "Display Error" in the Loading Log dialog and then closed the popup.  The anonymous code is in the input field next to the Execute button.  However if I press Execute again,although it shows up some dialogs saying "sending request" and "loading log", no log appears.

Hope that helps.  The case number with support was Case #03578136 which was the case for the Feature being enabled - I responded saying that it wasn't working but have had no response.

Erica

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

Can you enable your org for support access.  I will work with support to investigate this on your sandbox env.

pswpsw

Hi! Just wanted to let you know we've been looking into the problems you've been seeing. So far at least one of the issues you are seeing with a multi-line validation formula is fixed in the next patch; another is a problem we hadn't seen before having to do with visiting managed pages, we are working on a test case and fix for this now so we can try to get a fix into the patch after the one being rolled out imminently, as well as a problem with multi-line SOQL queries.

We are working our way through the other difficulties you mentioned as well. So far what we've seen are problems with missing test cases in the log preprocessing. This would not explain the problem you mentioned with no log showing up when doing an execute anonymous, however: I wonder, what was the trivial Apex you tried? At the very least, something like "Integer i = 5;" should produce a log...if this works then at least we know the browser side is working ok.

Thanks,

Peter

EMHDevEMHDev

Just tried

integer i=5;

I get a dialog that says "Executing.." then "Sending request..." then nothing.  Nothing appears in the execution log, and no error appears either.

Erica

EMHDevEMHDev

Just to be clear, a log entry does appear, but clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything at all and nothing appears in the execution log.

pswpsw

Thats odd. This would seem to be a client side issue. Can you try this in another web browser to see if this is specific to Firefox? There might be errors in the Javascript console that would be illuminating as well.

Sorry you are having so much trouble, if its any consolation you are one of the first people trying this. We really appreciate your patience! Once we get these issues sorted out we think the new System Log will be a real asset for you.

Peter

EMHDevEMHDev

Explorer is pretty much the same except that it doesn't appear to like the log/salesforce at all and I get this error with each page click:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; (R1 1.5); SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Timestamp: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:10:22 UTC

Line: 7
Char: 1816
Code: 0
URI: https://c.cs2.visual.force.com/EXT/ext-3.0.0/ext.js
Other than that, I get the same issues with Explorer.  It seems the error is generated by the logs that are generated by pages containing managed package VF panels.  Otherwise I just get nothing at all displayed in the execution log.

pswpsw

Thanks so much for checking this! I'll try to reproduce this and we will try to get this fixed in the next patch along with the other issues you've hit.

Peter

EMHDevEMHDev

Thanks, Peter.  Have sent you a private message regarding screenshots.

Erica

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

We have fixed the issues with the new system log - please try it out and let us know if you run into any issues.

thanks!

t

EMHDevEMHDev

Hi guys,

As per separate email, console doesn't work if logged in as another user, but when logged in as myself, it works like a dream.  LOVE the filter - so good not to have to plough through the stuff you aren't interested in.  And LOVE the outline view.

This is going to be so helpful - what a difference. Will post further feedback as I work through my debugging of my app.

Erica

EMHDevEMHDev

Two small enhancement requests - can we have horizontal scrollbars in the execution log and the source window?  Horizontal scrolling on the source window especially would be useful.

E

pswpsw

Glad to hear its working!

When you say though it doesn't work for another user, do you mean, it doesn't work when you log in as them as an admin, or it doesn't work for that other user logged in as themselves? The new system log respects the same permissions as the old one, so if the user was not able to use the old system log as themselves the shouldn't be able to use the new system log as themselves; if you log in as them as admin, however, you should be able to use the new system log. We fixed some issues here in the last patch, however, and maybe there is a case we missed.

Anyway, good to hear its working for you, hope it proves useful.

pswpsw

With regard to the scroll bars, yes, thats an enhancement request thats already on our list. Thanks for the feedback, though, it helps us prioritize!

EMHDevEMHDev

I mean it doesn't worked when logged in as another user as the administrator, which I do frequently for testing purposes.

pswpsw

OK, we will take a look. We were just checking this last week, so I'm surprised, but there must be something we missed.

pswpsw

Doh! OK, I see the problem. I think we can get this into the patch that will freeze today.

EMHDevEMHDev

New issue (have not tried out the other one as am testing something else at the moment) -

If you get more logs than can fit in the log list, and you scroll down to the bottom of the list to get the latest log, you can't select it unless you are very quick, it jumps up to the top of the list (or somewhere near it) - rather a strange UI bug.

Erica

EMHDevEMHDev

In fact, if you produce enough logs (my last bout of testing produced 29) and you click the down arrow of the scroll bar, you can see the bar position indicator (whatever the proper name is for the sliding bar on the scroll bar) jump up after a second.

It does make it rather tricky to access the correct log!

pswpsw

I filed a bug report for this issue and will take a look. Thanks for the feedback!

pswpsw

m62Dev wrote:

Hi guys,

As per separate email, console doesn't work if logged in as another user, but when logged in as myself, it works like a dream.  LOVE the filter - so good not to have to plough through the stuff you aren't interested in.  And LOVE the outline view.

This is going to be so helpful - what a difference. Will post further feedback as I work through my debugging of my app.

Erica

Hi, so a patch went out yesterday that we think should fix the problem of it not working when logged in as another user. If you could let us know if this is working for you know that would be great. Thanks!

EMHDevEMHDev

Hi Peter,

Yes, it worked for me today when logged in as another user.

Another issue I have had today is that it did not receive the log stream when I first started it up.  I started it up, set the log levels and then minimised it. I ran my test in the sandbox which generated some logs but nothing appeared in the console.  As far as I can tell, there is no way to force it to reread the log file from file, does it rely on a stream rather than pick it up from the debug log file?  If it picks it up from the file, can you add a function for it to refresh the log list so that I can force it to pick up a log it may have missed?

I tried to reproduce this behaviour but it does not always happen.  Once I'd got it working (shut down the console window and started it up again, reset log levels and ran the test again), it then worked once minimised.

Erica

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

Thank you for the feedback Erica.  We are looking to incorporate this functionality in a later version.  We simply did not have time to include this in the pilot.

regards,

t

ChrisparxChrisparx

Maybe a stupid question but... how do you activate this System Log Console Pilot ? It looks awesome but I didn't find any instruction about it.

Thank you!

tmatthiesentmatthiesen

As long as the pilot feature has been enabled, you can navigate to the system log and click the "Try new system log" link.  If you don't see this link, the pilot feature is not enabled for your organization.  

Please log a support ticket if you would like this enabled.

thanks,

t

EMHDevEMHDev

Please can you put this enhancement to the top of your list -

When hunting down problems in a log, I use the new filter feature, which is fantastic.  However, once I've found the offending bit of log, I want to remove the filter and look at what was happening to cause the problem, i.e. read up the log from there.  However, when you switch off the filter, instead of remaining at the line that I selected with the filter on, it goes back to (I'm guessing) the place in the log where I was BEFORE invoking the filter and scrolling through the filtered output.  I then have to search down manually to find my selected line, which kind of defeats the point of the filter.

It really should stay at the selected place.

Any chance of this?  It makes a huge difference to the useability.

Erica