function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
grimviewgrimview 

limit access to a record type

I have several partners that will be accessing opportuities so I thought record types would do this since the partners need access to more then one record type and its not yet determined which partner will have access to which opportunity record type. The accounts will have opportunities of several record types.

On each of  the partners profiles the I choose the record types, however this only prevented them from adding the other record types. I wanted to prevent them from editing/ deleting the other record type as well. And would be nice to prevent them from seeing the other record types on the account as well. How can I control access by record type?

Other info: Also the opportunities and accounts are both master related to a custom object that is similar to product/asset, which I'd also like to use record types on in the same way. Think of the partners as selling different products that are installed on the account. So they are given the opportunity to sell products. But 2 partners may need to be replaced by 1 partner in the future. However, the partner will not be creating the opportunities or products, so they will need to be quickly given permission later when its determined who sell what. Is the master relationship interfering with the permissions?

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

In order to restrict others on the basis of record types:-

1. From editing and deleting you can do that via trigger

2. For the visibility you can make the access of the objects private so every one sees the records created by them only, if that is fine with your business requirement. if it is not so then you can probably have custom visual for pages for listing also.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

ahab1372ahab1372

you should not use record types for that. Limiting access to certain records is usually done with sharing rules using the role hierarchy and/or groups.

You need to set the default sharing for opportunities to private first and then define sharing rules to allow access to records owned by users in a particular role, or a role and its child roles. You can specify if the rules apply to internal roles only of include partner roles.