function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JerryJosephJerryJoseph 

Sandbox to Production

If i edit the Custom Objects in the Sandbox can i transfer these edited Custom Objects to Production??
JonPJonP
The Apex Deployment Tool is the officially supported way to retrieve metadata from your Sandbox to your hard drive and then deploy it to Production.

You can also try using the Force.com IDE, which includes a graphical Deploy Wizard, but this tool is still in Developer Preview and is not yet supported by salesforce.com.
JerryJosephJerryJoseph
does that apply to Apex sandbox only??

i am using the Full Sandbox.. what happens to the data?
JonPJonP
The sandbox environment acts as a safe, isolated environment for developing and testing changes to your production organization.  Changes to data in a sandbox do not affect production.

If you need to migrate data from a sandbox to production, you can use the Data Loader to export it to a .csv file and then import it into production, after you migrate any metadata changes (so your objects have the same fields in both organizations).
ShamilShamil
Hello,

First of all, if this is not a right place for my question, please let me know.
Here is the question:

Force.com IDE allows to deploy profiles to production, but I couldn't deploy permissions related to custom objects.
Is there any way to deploy all the settings (everything that you see from setup->manage->profiles) for a profile from the IDE.

Thank you,
Any help is appreciated.

JonPJonP
You can deploy permissions on custom objects via the metadata API using .profile files.  See Metadata Objects > Profile | ProfileObjectPermissions in the Force.com Metadata API Developer's Guide.  Note that a .profile file will only include ProfileObjectPermissions for objects where it has permissions.  If the profile has no permission whatsoever on an object, the permissions fields will be omitted.

Also keep in mind that Profiles are tied to what else is in your project, and what else is included in a Deploy transaction.  If you want to set permissions on a custom object, deploy the .object file and the .profile files together in the same transaction.  Likewise, a .profile file will only include object permissions for .object files in your project, and each package folder will contain a distinct set of profiles covering permissions on just those metadata components also beneath that package folder.
ShamilShamil
Thanks a lot for the info. It's very useful!
I never tried anything other than Force.com IDE for migration purposes yet.
I think I need to look more into using the Metadata API and Ant tool for migration.
JonPJonP
The Force.com Migration Tool (for Ant) and the Force.com IDE both use the Metadata API to retrieve and deploy metadata files from a Salesforce organization.  They just provide different interfaces.  Plus the Migration Tool is GA and supported, where as the IDE is still in Developer Preview release.

The object documentation in the Metadata API guide applies to both tools.