function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
O2O SimonO2O Simon 

Data Migration from 1 Salesforce to another Salesforce

Dear all,

I am working on the Data Migration from one Salesforce to another Salesforce.

Is there any recommendation how I should carry out this migration?
As I found that the relationships in different objects are mapped by ID fields, which maybe changed after import to the new Salesforce.

Regards,

Simon
NivNiv

Hi Simon,

What Data migration tool are you using/planning to use? Dataloader should help you to large extent without worrying about ids. Where ever you match the data by id, use vlookup function to replace the id  from SF1 with actual name and replace name with id from SF2. This should help you create the file with proper relationship.

Eg:

1. First import contacts (be sure to keep a backup with SF1 ids) to SF2. The SF assigns new ids to the contacts. Export the SF2 contacts in exel with ids.

2.  Take out activities of contacts from SF1. These will have reference to SF1 ids for Contact name. Use the SF1 contacts file to replace all the SF1 contact ids to contact names by using the vlookup formula in excel. Then use the SF2 contacts file to replace the contact name to SF2 contact ids again by using vlookup formula.

use the same logic to all the records you are migrating from SF1 to SF2 depending on the relationships.

Message Edited by Niv on 11-06-2008 02:07 AM
O2O SimonO2O Simon
Hi Niv,

I have no idea which tools i should use to carry out the migration.

Any tools that can do the task is ok for me. Do u have any recommendation?

thanks.

Simon
NivNiv
If you are using enterprise edition, the data loader is available. If it is professional or lower, I would suggest sforce connector. It is available on appExchage  for free and is an exellent tool.

To learn how to do data migration using dataloader refer this link:

Message Edited by Niv on 11-06-2008 02:12 AM