function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sparkysparky 

refreshing folders in IDE

In the latest version of the eclipse IDE:

Generally speaking, if I right click a folder, do Force.com>Refresh from Server, it seems to actually refresh those elements that have changed.

However, I just tried that on the objects folder, and some of my changes were not updated.  Specifically, I made some changes to fields in the Contact object, but those changes were not refreshed to the IDE.

Is this a bug?   Or is there some rhyme or reason to what refreshes when, and what doesn't?

Thanks very much!

Update: I can get those Contact changes to refresh by specifically refreshing the Contact object, as opposed to the Objects folder.  But it sure would be nice to refresh folders and have the confidence that all changes will show up.  So my question still stands.  Thanks!

Message Edited by sparky on 11-18-2008 10:11 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JonPJonP
Wintamute--

You absolutely CANNOT use a Force.com project created in Summer '08 or earlier with the Winter '09 IDE. The entire project structure changed significantly between the Summer '08 Developer Preview release of the IDE and the Winter '09 GA release, so the new version had no knowledge of what to do with the files based on where they were located in your older project.  I'm quite certain that none of the changes you made in your existing project after upgrading were successfully saved to the server, so it's no wonder they were missing from the new project you created on your second machine.

Are you having any problems saving/refreshing changes from the Winter '09 IDE, when you're working in a fresh Force.com project?

Jon
salesforce.com Product Manager

All Answers

wintamutewintamute
Sorry, no answer from me, but I seem to have a similar problem.

I upgraded to the latest IDE version and refreshed the existing project instead of creating a new workspace and project. This let me continue to work and save all changes back to salesforce (at least it seems that way, no error messages and such).
However, on a second machine I used a new workspace and created a new project for the same Org, retrieved all content. But all the changes I made were missing.
I tried different options like getting all components, only the package I am working on, no difference. I always get the content as before upgrading the first machine. There I can happily edit and save changes, but they never show up on the other machine.
Also when viewing the classes in the browser GUI, I don't see those changes.

Same the other way around, changes made on the second machine don't show up in the existing project on the first machine.

I'm fine if someone states this is not supported and after upgrading I HAVE to use a new project, but I"m stumped that I can edit and save without getting any error messages, also refresh from server seems to work, but is in fact not doing anything. I'd label this a bug.

Any ideas/opinions on that?
sparkysparky
I think I read somewhere that the new IDE isn't compatible with projects created under the previous version, although I can't remember where I read that.  I'd guess that's your problem.

Note: original question still unanswered.
wintamutewintamute

sparky wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the new IDE isn't compatible with projects created under the previous version, although I can't remember where I read that.  I'd guess that's your problem.

That might be the case and I'm not arguing against that. I'm simply stating that having the IDE appear to work correctly and save changes back to salesforce when in fact not saving anything might be a problem which could easily avoided by having a warning or error message.

JonPJonP
Wintamute--

You absolutely CANNOT use a Force.com project created in Summer '08 or earlier with the Winter '09 IDE. The entire project structure changed significantly between the Summer '08 Developer Preview release of the IDE and the Winter '09 GA release, so the new version had no knowledge of what to do with the files based on where they were located in your older project.  I'm quite certain that none of the changes you made in your existing project after upgrading were successfully saved to the server, so it's no wonder they were missing from the new project you created on your second machine.

Are you having any problems saving/refreshing changes from the Winter '09 IDE, when you're working in a fresh Force.com project?

Jon
This was selected as the best answer
JonPJonP
Sparky,

Can you please open a case with salesforce.com Customer Support?

Thanks,
Jon
wintamutewintamute

JonP wrote:

Jon,

Thanks for the reply.
So far, I didn't see any problems working with a fresh project. (Besides totally unrelated debug output problems I posted already about).
The release notes for the IDE does state that a new project should be used, I actually read that. Maybe the upgrade page in the wiki should be rephrased, since "As discussed in the Release Notes, the recommended procedure is to start a fresh workspace and new projects." merely recommends a new project, so without reading the actual release notes, one could miss that part.
Also, a big warning message in the IDE itself would be nice, not sure if that's possible though.
But thanks again for clarification.

Andreas