function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
devNut!devNut! 

using adobe flex to upload files - possible ?

Since adobe flex is a client side technology it does not have access to machine's local resources.  For example an adobe flex application cannot open a file on a user's machine and write it to a document object via the salesforce api.  However, adobe flex does have support for uploading files but requires a script (e.g. php) on the other end to accept the file.

Does salesforce.com provide the ability to write a custom script to handle file uploads via a adobe flex application ?
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
devNut!devNut!
As of winter 09 Visualforce has a file upload component.

You can launch a vf page from flex to upload a file as a document.  JavaScript can be used to communicate between the VF page and Flex.  Then your Flex application can then use the uploaded document id or other information as required.

All Answers

testortestor
Did you ever find a way to do this?
devNut!devNut!
As of winter 09 Visualforce has a file upload component.

You can launch a vf page from flex to upload a file as a document.  JavaScript can be used to communicate between the VF page and Flex.  Then your Flex application can then use the uploaded document id or other information as required.

This was selected as the best answer
testortestor
Cool, but I wish I could do it with the salesforce toolkit and Flex alone.  I hope they update the toolkit.
Thanks.
devNut!devNut!
Flex can only upload files to an endpoint (see the FileReference class).  Salesforce would have to provide an endpoint to upload to.

ie. with flex you cannot access a file on a drive and obtain its binary form

unless you went with AIR.