function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jasonfnorthjasonfnorth 

Object Creation Options (Available only when custom object is first created)

Page 41 of the Force.com Fundamentals book states how you are only offered with the option to enable "notes and attachments" for an object when first creating a NEW Object.

I, of course, forgot to check this checkbox when creating this custom object, and have since created a ton of custom fields, layouts, validation rules, imported data, etc... and NOW... realize... where are the notes & attachments??

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can turn this on now?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

That doesn't seem right. I just created a custom object without adding Notes and Attachments. After it was created, I edited the page layout and under the Related List - you can still add Notes and Attachments.

I believe the setting at creation does it for you automatically, but if don't select it, the feature is still available to add.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

dev_jhdev_jh

Hi there,

I am afraid I don´t have an answer, just a couple of ideas:

1. Have you tried Support? Log a case with them, maybe they have the capability to do this... You might have already tried, but thought that should be the first port of call.
  2. Unless anyone has a better suggestion, the only alternative would be to recreate the object checking the option and migrate with Eclipse all the customizations so as not to have to create them manually again. The last step would then be to export all the data from the old object and import it into the new one using something like DataLoader. Not ideal, but maybe the only way to go about it!

Good luck and let us know if you find a better way!

J

shillyershillyer

That doesn't seem right. I just created a custom object without adding Notes and Attachments. After it was created, I edited the page layout and under the Related List - you can still add Notes and Attachments.

I believe the setting at creation does it for you automatically, but if don't select it, the feature is still available to add.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
jasonfnorthjasonfnorth
Awesome, that was it!  Thanks for the flashlight.  I hugely appreciate it!