function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeffroJeffro 

Deleting Multiple Picklist Values

Is there a way to delete multiple picklist values without having to click the del link next to each value? We have @50 values in our Source field on the Contact object and I would like to clean it out and start over. Is there a way to due this as a batch delete?

Thanks

shillyershillyer

I think this can't be done because some deletes may ask you to map the deleted value to another existing value in all of your organization’s records. More info in help.

Best,

Sati

Steve :-/Steve :-/

I've run into this problem in the past with the Admin UI. 

Your best option might be the Eclipse Force.com IDE

Message Edited by Stevemo on 02-18-2009 03:59 PM
JeffroJeffro

Do you have any experience using the Eclipse Force.com IDE to perform this? I have Eclipse installed and have used it for other things such as triggers and classes, but never for something like deleting values.

There are no records tied to this field since it is a brand new installation, but there are a lot of values in the list.

shillyershillyer

I just tried deleting these values in the IDE, but whenever I refresh, they come back. I do not believe it's possible via the IDE.

Best,

Sati

aalbertaalbert

Sati is correct. Currently, you can not delete picklist values through the Force.com IDE nor Metadata API. Its documented here.

Snippet: "Note that picklist values cannot be deleted from a picklist that has been saved to your organization, since data rows might exist that would need to be interactively remapped."

dlakshmidlakshmi

Take both standard and custom objects in eclipse, now select the object, select the picklist field and remove the picklist values and save.

It works. This worked for me and helped me lot.  This saves lot of time.

Thanks...!!!!

Jonas WalkerJonas Walker
This might also be helpful.

Universal Picklists

https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000000pvmXEAQ
Robert MoutalRobert Moutal
I found a quicker way to delete multiple items. By RIGHT-clicking the "Del" link and opening in a new tab you can go much faster and, for some reason it doesn't even ask for confirmation.
Just hit refresh and the items are gone.
Naveen MosuruNaveen Mosuru
The way I do is - Press CTRL + Click on the Del / Deactivate and then press enter for each selection. After completion of all activities, refresh the page.
                                                   OR

simply Right-click on Del / Deactivate / Activate and select on Open link in the new tab as shown in the below image.

User-added image