function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Pooja05Pooja05 

creating Mail merge template using multiple custom objects

How can I create a mail merge template using the fields from a multiple custom objects?

As of now, it allows me to create the mail merge template only using the standard objects.

It would be really helpful to get a sample template using the merge fields from custom objects.

Thanks,

Pooja

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

Hi Pooja,

Have you looked at Visualforce email templates? An email template with Visualforce components can contain information from multiple records and objects.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

shillyershillyer

Hi Pooja,

Have you looked at Visualforce email templates? An email template with Visualforce components can contain information from multiple records and objects.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
Pooja05Pooja05

Hi,

Is it possible to merge custom fields in the mail merge template without using visual force?

THanks,

Pooja

shillyershillyer

Yes - when you create a mail merge template, you can use Salesforce merge fields to grab data from your custom fields. But you don't get the flexibility that Visualforce Email templates allows.

I suggest checking out Mail Merge templates, if if doesn't meet your needs, explore Visualforce Email templates.

Hope that helps,

Sati

Pooja05Pooja05

I am using the office connect tool for inserting merge fields.

But this does not list the custom objects to choose from.

Is there any workaround?

Thanks,

Pooja

shillyershillyer

Doesn't look there is, according to the doc (check out Merge field guidelines for email templates and mail merge templates):

You can only use standard fields when generating email and mail merge documents for leads or contacts. 

Best,

Sati

spielsspiels
There is a workaround if you use Outlook. You can manage your templates in Salesforce and merge/send them from Outlook. All using cross object fields. You can learn more here (http://www.contactmonkey.com/blog/cross-object-fields-in-salesforce-email-templates-fixed).