function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bc2000bc2000 

Cross-Object Formula Functionality

"Cross-Object Formulas" can only reference related merge fields from their 'parent' records.

I don't think it would be so hard to extend this functionality and allow for 'child' referencing as well.

So why hasn't it been done?  Why wasn't this function implimented at the same time?

Is it a pricing scheme?  Or is my understanding of the system just flawed?

I'd love to have some enlightenment on this issue, your comments are very welcome!

BC
indicatorindicator
BC,

As far as I know, it has to do with the fact that a child has only one parent (ex: a contact is related to only one account) for each specific lookup or master-detail field, so if you reference a field from the parent, there's only one choice of a record to grab the field from.

The converse does not hold true.  A single parent object can have multiple related child object records (ex: a single account could have many opportunities).  How would you determine WHICH child record to pull fields from?

You can do this to a limited extent with roll-up summary fields, although you have to then have a master-detail relationship.

One thing to note is that with the Summer '08 release you can not only reference fields from the parent object, but you can also reference fields from the grandparent object, great-grandparent, etc.

Kyle
MikeGerholdtMikeGerholdt

BC2000,

I am with you 100% I would love to be able to reference (on the account) something from the opportunity. Right now we are trying to score accounts based on their oppty stage.