function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MaxxumMaxxum 

Experts: Please help

Hi folks,

I have been trying to get some help to get me started, but haven't got any.
I have been going through the site to get answers to my questions, but more I browse through, more confused I get. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I want to build an application to integrate Salesforce with our legacy application.
I want the user to be able to select an account and submit a process request to our application (using XML).

So I have created appropriate custom objects and custom references. I have also customized the page layout for my custom object. The lookup for Account works fine in my UI. Now I want to extend this form that I developed using CustomForce.

Upon lookup of the account, I want to pre-populate few fields (like Ticker, Address fields) on my custom object form. How do I do that? Can I add javascript event (on change?) to the Account Name field? On change, can I get access to the selected account object?

I want to get rid of default buttons like Save, Save and New and add my own button "Process". Can I do that?

Once the request is sent to my application, response is sent back. I want to parse this response and save data to the tables. How can I access my custom object in javascript and save it?

Is custom force the right approach for this application?

Cheers,
-RD
adamgadamg
You cannot change button labels, nor can you have handlers for events (like onchange, etc).

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may be better off creating a web tab / scontrol "view" of the custom object data.
MaxxumMaxxum
Thank you asamg for your response.
Can you point me to some examples of using web tab / scontrols effectively?

Especially, we want to maintain the salesforce look to the new application that we are developing.
Also, if I wrote my own scontrol to generate the UI, can I take advantage of customizations that can be done using customforce?
For example, how can I handle user specific customizations (field hiding, field level security et al) in the UI generated using scontrol?

Regards,