function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MogyMogy 

Email2Case can businesses use it if so how ;)

Use of Email2Case in the world of SalesForce.

We are currently undergoing an evaluation of SalesForce.com. We are looking to use Email2Case however after reading some of the comments posted in this community I am not sure if we should. if anyone can help us with this area then we would be most grateful

The product does not seem to be supported by SalesForce.com will this change in time?

How do other companies feel about using a product that is not officially supported? This could be costly for us if we miss an SLA (more in image than cash) due to the application failing and not being noticed or because of network errors that are not reported.

Are there examples of code that will provide some of the more interesting functionality. Getting it to log a ticket was straightforward but we obviously want it to log against the contact and append it if the ticket already exists etc.

I thought that it didn't handle attachments (due to the read-me included saying it doesn't) but from messages in this forum it would seem that it does. Could someone let me know yes or no?

What sort of problems have people run into with it? I have seen some people have had problems with the message headers, does it log anything with this error or not?

Am I missing any points that I should be aware of?

Many thanks for your time

Gareth

Mark_AbramowitzMark_Abramowitz
I will try to address your points one by one.

1. The Email Agent Code source code is provided as a sample to accelerate implementation. There are no plans to support the Email Agent Code. The long term plan for Email-To-Case is to provide a no software solution where customers forward messages to Salesforce.com. There is no committed timeframe for this.
2. I have talked to many large and small Salesforce.com customers about email2case. I have not had any push back once the customer understands how it works.
3. Email-To-Case currently supports linking the Case to a Contact, as long as we can match the inbound email address. Once a Case is created (by email or other methods) all subsequent emails are threaded and attached to the original case.
4. Email-To-Case supports attachments. Supportforce users can find these attachments at the bottom of the email that is related to the Case.
5. The Email Agent Code traps errors and can send notifications when errors occur. In addition, if the agent has trouble processing an email it is moved into an "Errorbox" folder on the mail server.

I recommend that you download the agent and spend an hour working with it. I am confident that within an hour you can be sending emails that are created as Cases.

I also encourage you to read "Setting Up Email-to-Case" in the Salesforce.com Online Help.

https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?section=help&loc=help⌖=customizesupport_email.htm%25232176569&body=%2Fhelp%2Fdoc%2Fen%2Fhelp2.jsp

Mark Abramowitz
Product Manager, Supportforce