function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NPCRNPCR 

How to update custom settings that are protected once they have been deployed in a managed package?

I have a group of custom settings that are set to visibility = "Protected" I have included these custom settings in a managed package.  I am deploying my managed package to an Enterprise edition instance of Salesforce and when I log in to that instance as the administrator, I am unable to see these custom settings.  From reading SF documentation, it appears the custom settings are hidden since they were protected in the managed package.

I am not able to change the custom settings to "Public" on my developer instance and I don't know how to access them in the deployed instance to set the values for each setting.  Is there a way to do this?

tantotanto

One idea....

Use Eclipse to deploy the metadata from your developer org to another developer org. Make the changes there, create a new unmanaged package, and install the package in the client's org.

Keith654Keith654

Not being able to switch between protected public once a custom setting has been created is a nasty surprise none of us need. The default is protected and I went through some pain to remove and then re-create some custom settings to make them public so they could be configured once the managed package was installed. That is the cleanest way to go if you can make that change.

It is possible to add a page/controller that provides access and that is the recommended pattern if you want to impose security measures like profiles on the settings. See Securing Custom Settings in a Managed Package for some information on that.

Keith

NPCRNPCR

Thanks for the tips.  I ended up recreating the custom settings as public and changing my code references.  Not ideal obviously, but it is the better long term solution for what I am doing.

I just made another post regarding custom settings in managed packages - specifically about referencing them in custom buttons and custom links.  Would appreciate any thoughts on that too!

http://community.salesforce.com/t5/General-Development/Referencing-custom-settings-in-custom-links-custom-buttons/td-p/194898