function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VK86VK86 

Deleting default record type

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me with the following issue(a simple one but I am unable to solve it)

I have two record types A, B of which B is set as default. 'B' has 5 profiles associated with it. Now, I want to delete the record type 'B' but unable to do so.  

Tried doing the following things but was unsuccessful:

1. Deactivate record type 'B'

2. Create new record type 'C' which has existing record type as 'B' and making it default.

When I try to delete 'B', there is an error message saying 'This record type cannot be deleted because the following profiles use this record type as default.' 

Any help in this is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance. 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
CaptainObviousCaptainObvious
You're almost there... as the error message suggests, you'll have to go into each profile listed and set the default record type to the newly created one. Once the reference to the old record type is removed from all profiles, you should be able to delete it.

All Answers

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious
You're almost there... as the error message suggests, you'll have to go into each profile listed and set the default record type to the newly created one. Once the reference to the old record type is removed from all profiles, you should be able to delete it.
This was selected as the best answer
VK86VK86
Thanks a bunch...! It worked for me!
QuickDEVQuickDEV

I came to this post looking for an answer for a similar problem.  I was actually searching for an solution how to do it for multiple profiles at a time.  Is not it too much to go into each profile to change the default to something else?

Thanks!

RajivKocherlaRajivKocherla
Hi there even i know that we have to manually go to each profile and change their defualt record type setting is there a more advanced way where we can automate this change it will be beneficial if we have numerous profiles.