function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn 

Regular Expressions in a Validation Rule

Hello,

I am trying to test for a valid date format (mm/dd/ccyy) at the beginning of a text field with no luck.  I have the following formula- NOT(REGEX(Description , "^(0[1-9]|1[012])[- /.](0[1-9]|[12][0-9]|3[01])[- /.](19|20)\\d\\d"))

and if I only put 01/01/2009 in the text field it works but if I put anything after the date it fails.  For example, 01/01/2009 - This is a test to validate the regular expression -- that does not work!

I thought the ^ checked only the beginning for a match?  Any help would be appreciated.  We have a free form text box and the business requires that every time an entry is made it must begin with the date that they enter the text.  I know my approach above is only validating for a format; therefore, if you can help me with that it would be a start.  However, if you could even help me confirm that the beginning of the text field has the current date that would be even better.  I do not want to auto populate it because they may have already entered it and that would create a dup date.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
gurumikegurumike

Glad you got it working.  If you agree that smiley faces in developer boards are silly, vote here:

http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/10098544/Disable_emoticons_in_the_developer_community_boards

Thanks!

All Answers

gurumikegurumike

Try adding .* to the end of your regular expression to allow additional characters after the selected part.  You might also want to use something like ([ ].*)? to force there to be at least one space between the date and the remaining text.

The ^ character doesn't tell the regex parser to only check the beginning; rather, the ^ character matches the beginning.  Thus, your regex matches the beginning plus the date, and any text after that no longer matches the expression.

Thanks for the time... Adding the [ ].* seems to work up until I hit the enter key in the text box and start a new line of test.  If I keep typing and let the auto wrap create the next line the expression still works.  Typically, the user may enter one or two comments per month for a given opportunity.

The users are going to be entering text like this....

11/03/2009 this is another line and the enter key is hit after each line is entered.

10/31/2009 - This is a line to demonstrate 

10/20/2009 - This is a line of information

Salesforce is always different as far as functionality.  The original expression that I had works in my EditPad Pro editor!

I appeciate your help in getting to a solution.

To reiterate, I only need to make sure they are typing a mm/dd/yyyy format at the beginning of all the text.  What they may change below that is not a concern.  Just the first 10 characters have to be a valid mm/dd/yyyy date.
gurumikegurumike

I see, so salesforce is enforcing the regex on a per-line basis, rather than treating the comments as one big string.  Different libraries do different things, but multi-line regex support is generally more flexible.

After a quick search, I found that Salesforce uses the Java regex engine, whose docs are found here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/regex/Pattern.html

If you change your ^ to a \A, then you will match the beginning-of-input rather than beginning-of-line, which should give you the functionality you want.

I appreciate you working through this with me.

I currently have this as a validation rule: NOT(REGEX(Description , "\\A(0[1-9]|1[012])[- /.](0[1-9]|[12][0-9]|3[01])[- /.](19|20)\\d\\d[ ].*"))

The smiley face is really a ")"

One line of text works fine but as soon as I put the second line (hitting the enter key to create a new line) it does not work.

01/01/2009 testing the new validation rule and the sentence goes on and on and on.
10/03/2009 - testing

That second line causes it to fail but it is a proper format!!!

I am trying different expressions with no luck so far.

Ok--I got it working....

I had to tell the REGEX to look at the first 11 characters mm/dd/yyyy plus a space. 

NOT(REGEX(LEFT(Description,11) , "(0[1-9]|1[012])[- /.](0[1-9]|[12][0-9]|3[01])[- /.](19|20)\\d\\d[ ]"))

The data below now passes validation...

11/03/2009 -testing
11/023/2009 - testing a new line
11/01/2009 testing the new validation rule and the sentence goes on and on and on.

10/10/2009 - testing again...

but this will not...

11/03/2009-testing

or...

11/03/09 -testing

I think I am good unless I discover further issues when I test more.

Thanks for your help.

gurumikegurumike

Glad you got it working.  If you agree that smiley faces in developer boards are silly, vote here:

http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/10098544/Disable_emoticons_in_the_developer_community_boards

Thanks!

This was selected as the best answer