function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfdc_adminsfdc_admin 

Outbound Message : To Salesforce to Update Record in SFDC

Is there a way to set up a workflow outbound message, that will update a field on a record in salesforce.

for eg, when an opportunity closes, we want a field on a custom object which is related to opportunity to be changed to Not Available.

Can this be configured using outbound messaging? All and any leads, thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!
Niyati
Consultant
Bluewolf
Ron HessRon Hess
sorry no, the workflow field update is "same record" if i recall, not related.

outbound messaging does not update fields or values.

this would be a nice feature to post on ideas.salesforce.com

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
If, using your example, the opportunity had a field related to a custom object, an outbound message would work, because you'd have a session ID and the ID of the object to update. If the field was on the custom object, you'd have to run a query (think "Select ID From Custom_Object__c Where Opportunity_Id__c = '<id>'") to get all matching records, then run an update() on those records.

Either way, I don't see any major hurdles using this functionality. Outbound Messaging was designed to get around current workflow limitations, ease mirroring techniques, and remove the traditional polling cycle that was mandatory until just recently.

However, that being said, you still have write code, so it's certainly more complex than it would be if workflow updates could update related records. And you still have to host an application that has to receive the notifications, so it still consumes local resources. Ron is correct in that it won't do the work for you. You must be willing to develop a custom solution to support the outbound messaging.

CharlyGCharlyG
So what would be the best way to update a field on a related object if not through workflow outbound messaging? I know a scontrol will work, but this requires user interaction to click the button or link.
The ideal would be to have a scontrol trigger when a record saves, without extra interaction from the user. Any ideas?
sfdc_adminsfdc_admin
Thank you all for your input. Currently what I have configured is a link that updates the record on the related object, but it does require user action to click the link. I hope Salesforce comes out with this ability soon. Looks like a lot of them like me are trying to update fields on related objects.

CharlyGCharlyG
Hi

Can you please give more details on the link you created to update the other record?
Any heko will be appreciated

Regards

Charly
sfdc_adminsfdc_admin
I created a formula field on opportunity.

HYPERLINK("/"&Listing__c&"/e?00N50000001RTjN=Sold&save=1&retURL=%2F"& Id,
IMAGE("servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=015500000007g92","listing sold"),"_top")

Listing__c : Id of the record on a custom object which field needs to be updated

00N50000001RTjN=Sold : Set the new field value. In this case the field value should be Sold.

retURL=%2F"& Id : Insutruct it to return to the opportunity record. (so technically the field update is happening without the user seeing it.

IMAGE("servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=015500000007g92","listing sold") : I am displaying a image field which i have stored in  Documents.

_top : Display in same window.

So how does this get executed?
Answer: The image field is displayed on the opportunity record. The image is going to work like a refresh button. When the user clicks the image, in the background, SFDC will update the field to "Sold" on the record  of the custom object. So for the user, it is just like a page refresh.

The reason I used a image field is because it stands out to the user rather than a button or a link. I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for improving the above formula field.

Niyati

sfdc_adminsfdc_admin
I am not sure why are the brackets showing up as smiley faces.
Niyati