function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gokubigokubi 

API Feature Request: give access to a field's Id in describeSObjects

I can get an array of all fields on an object, but I cannot see the Id of each field. Why would I want the Id of a field? The create/edit forms in the sf.com web interface use these field Ids to pass data on the querystring to custom fields. To see this in action, go to a custom object you have and click new from any of the related lists. On the querystring you'll see lots of Id gibberish. It's that gibberish that sets the custom object reference on the edit page that pops up.

Without access to the field Id from a describe call, I have to manually discover and hardcode the Ids of fields that I want to prepopulate automatically in this way.

Give me the Id in the fields array in the describeSObjects call and I wouldn't have to hard code those custom field Ids.

Thanks!
Steve
Ron HessRon Hess
depending on these field Id's is basicaly screen scraping and not considered robust programing. I would give this a low probablity of actualy getting resources to build, test and deploy.

benjasikbenjasik
I think the feature to ask for here is supported developer name fields as a URL-based API to our forms.  Providing IDs in the API would only encourage screen scraping as Ron says, which is not recommended, and highly likely to break across our major releases (we don't support backwards compatability of our form params)
gokubigokubi
Yeah, that would be nice.

Thanks,
Steve
MJ09MJ09

Almost 2 years to the day after this thread started, I'm looking for the same feature. Is there any recommended way to load the standard edit page for an object with specific values filled in for specific fields?

Thanks,

MJ.