function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dearingerATdearingerAT 

Application Integration

Greetings...

I'm developing an app using the "no code" option on the force.com platform.  My question is:  Will the intrinsic objects (Contacts, Accounts, etc.) that I have modified in my app function independently of the of those same objects in the users environment if he is an existing SalesForce client?  For example, I have highly modified the Contacts object in my app; can the user have two Contacts objects, the one in my app and his original?

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

No, when you customize Standard Objects (Accounts, Contacts, etc.), the users of your app will need to customize their Standard Objects too. Meaning, you cannot have 2 Contact Objects in 1 org - you are simply extending the Standard Object for all users of your app. Typically when a partner builds an app that extends Standard Objects, they include a customization guide that explains what to customize after installing the package - since not all customizations can be packaged.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

shillyershillyer

No, when you customize Standard Objects (Accounts, Contacts, etc.), the users of your app will need to customize their Standard Objects too. Meaning, you cannot have 2 Contact Objects in 1 org - you are simply extending the Standard Object for all users of your app. Typically when a partner builds an app that extends Standard Objects, they include a customization guide that explains what to customize after installing the package - since not all customizations can be packaged.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
dearingerATdearingerAT
Thanks, that helps tremendously...  Do force.com partner/developers typically create custom objects to avoid this issue?  I have already created several, two more should not be a problem.
shillyershillyer

Some do, some don't. If you want to decrease the amount of customization an admin will have to do after installing your app, you would probably want to rely more heavily on custom objects. However, you risk having to recreate functionality that is already there with standard objects. I recommend thinking about the pros/cons of both paths before you continue.

Hope that helps,

Sati

dearingerATdearingerAT

Thanks again...