function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DanSykesDanSykes 

Outbound Messaging - System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to read request.

Hi i am having problems with outbound messaging.

I have a web service at my end that i have tested and it works and returns me an ack value of true when i hit it in my test program, When i try and hit it from salesforce by making a change to a contact, i get this error.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to read request. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There is

Has anyone else seen this and solved it?  I can provide my code if its needed.  I am using .NET 1.1 and VB.
Thanks Dan
SuperfellSuperfell
Sounds like your server is expecting a different SOAPAction HTTP header than the one that was sent.

Have you seen http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/2007/02/1740.html and in particular the part about having to modify rather than subclass the generated code on .NET 1.1 ?
DanSykesDanSykes

Hi Simon,

Firstly thank you for your response. Yeah i did follow that page,  (some of the instructions dont appear in ie ;) but were there in firefox which threw me a little), i think i have pretty much the same as you documented.

One thing i did have to change was the name of the Contact class in the autogenerated code to sfContact as we already have a contact class in our project.  If this is essential then i can create this in its own project, but do not want to do this unless it is really essential.

This works when i add a web reference a test preoject, although it is saying i am using temp.org as the namespace whaiach i am not, i do not know if this has anything to do with it.

In my Notification Service i have (at the momnet i just want to get an ack from the page):

<System.Web.Services.WebServiceBindingAttribute(Name:="NotificationBinding", [Namespace]:="http://soap.sforce.com/2005/09/outbound"), _

System.Xml.Serialization.XmlIncludeAttribute(GetType(sObject))> _

Public Class NotificationService

Inherits System.Web.Services.WebService

'<remarks/>

<System.Web.Services.WebMethodAttribute(), _

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("", Use:=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal, ParameterStyle:=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Bare)> _

Public Function notifications(<System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("notifications", [Namespace]:="http://soap.sforce.com/2005/09/outbound")> ByVal notifications1 As notifications) As <System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("notificationsResponse", [Namespace]:="http://soap.sforce.com/2005/09/outbound")> notificationsResponse

Dim r As notificationsResponse = New notificationsResponse

r.Ack = True

Return r

End Function

End Class

in my asmx i have :

<%@ WebService Language="vb" Codebehind="NotificationService.asmx.vb" class="NotificationService" %>

Thanks again

Dan

SuperfellSuperfell
You can't use codebehind, the WebService attributes are not inherited by subclasses, and so when you use code behind, the actual responder class is a subclass of your code behind class, and so non of the WS attributes apply, so it thinks the soapaction header should be something else.
DanSykesDanSykes

Hi simon,

Thanks again, yeah that kind of makes sense although it is a bit of a pain to get the webservice working like this.  I had to add the service to its own project and compile it, then add its dll into the bin.  Then i reference it like this:

<%@ WebService Language="vb" Class="SalesForceWebService.NotificationService" %>

But i still get the same error.  Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks again
Dan
SuperfellSuperfell
Have you tried getting the c# version running ?
DanSykesDanSykes

Hi Simon,

Got it going thanks for all your help.  Still not 100% sure what the problem was but all seems good now.;)

Thanks Again

Dan