function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Steve_FinlaySteve_Finlay 

Changing the default record type

Now that I've created a couple of record types for a custom object, how do change which record type is the default now that they are created?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
NallapatiNallapati

You need to edit all the profiles  to change the Default Record Type for that custom object   as the record types are already created.

Salesforce gives the option to make the record type to default for all profiles in a single page, Only at the time of creation of record type

All Answers

NallapatiNallapati

You need to edit all the profiles  to change the Default Record Type for that custom object   as the record types are already created.

Salesforce gives the option to make the record type to default for all profiles in a single page, Only at the time of creation of record type

This was selected as the best answer
khofstee1.3933528512706306E12khofstee1.3933528512706306E12
How do you make that change?  Doesn't seem accessible from Profile edit screen.
cmsweetcmsweet
For the Googlers out there, to do this you would go to each individual Profile and under the Record Type Settings section, you can click Edit under each Object to change available record types as well as the default.
System Admin 236System Admin 236
How do you then deploy this change?  I made change to a profile on which record type for an opportunity was the default, and when deploying the changed profile - the default record type information is not ported over.  Why not?
Jack PondJack Pond
Can you set default type by permission set too?
David Roberts 4David Roberts 4
I can't remove it from chatter profiles. It isn't listed as having a defualt record type.
NPSPNPSP
Hello David,
Did you find the solution to remove record type from the chatter profiles?
NPSPNPSP
I just soved the issue for chatter profiles from this link below:
https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000h1GEAAY
SaraHope Smith 8SaraHope Smith 8
The path to change a record type today, in 2019, is  through each user profile as mentioned above. Once in the profile, go to the Find Settings box, enter the name of the object the record type you want to change is on, then select that object from the list of permissions.  Once in the object, then open it for editing, and select the record type you now want as the default. If you want to delete a record type, you must repeat this step for all profiles it is default on.  Then you'll be able to go back to the object and delete it there under Object Manager> Object Name> Record Types ... drop down arrow on the far right of the name.
Note: that if you want to delete all record types, then you will be using the Master record type. This is where you can assign a page layout of your preference to the Master Record Type.
Scott HuffmanScott Huffman
Are the default record type ids available for SELECT in an API?

I need to export the default Account, Contact, Opportunity, Lead RecordTypeId for each Profile.
Hope ShaferHope Shafer
  • Access Profiles needing to be changed
  • Select Object Settings
  • Select Object
  • Click Edit
  • Select new Default Record Type in far right column
  • Save