function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ShaunCShaunC 

Display Contact Full Name in Related List

Hi All,

Probably a silly question, but here goes.

I have an object, Job_Position, with a Many-to-Many relationship with the Contact Object. The joining object is called Job_Placement.

On my Job_Position page layout I have added the Job_Placement related List. When configuring the fields to display in this related list I can choose the Contact First Name and Last Name, but I cannot see just Name (ie the full name).

As a workaround I could create a forumla field to compute the Full Name, but this doesn't seem like the correct solution.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

In my opinion, you will not be able to get the contact name. In the case of junction object First Name, Last Name is available. You need to do a workaround to get the Name.

Ken SKen S

Chalk it up to mindless Salesforce Feature Gap #273. You cannot add any such field ("Name", "Owner Name", or "Full Name") in Related Lists or Reports on the standard objects like Lead and Contact, even though they clearly exist as the Name field (and on the Page Layout editor) and are required and indexed fields.  So instead you have to add or concatenate First Name and Last Name to a text field, which then is no longer a lookup either.

Feel free to upvote on the IdeaExchange if you can find a link, where it will surely languish for 12 years with 38,940 votes while they implement featuers 7 people care about with 300 votes. ;)

Ken SKen S
See also:

https://ideas.salesforce.com/s/idea/a0B8W00000Gde8BUAR/show-contact-first-name-and-last-name-columns-in-related-lists-in-lightning

How to display a full name field as a single (1) column/field + add to Reports and Related Lists (examples):

1) Add "Full Name" custom text field as clickable link:

IF(CONTAINS($Api.Partner_Server_URL_100,"salesforce.com"),HYPERLINK("/lightning/r/"&Id&"/view/",FirstName & " " & LastName),HYPERLINK("contact/"&Id&"/view/",FirstName & " " & LastName))

2) Add "Owner Name" custom text field (e.g. on Contact, so from Account you can view the Contact owner in a Related List):

IF(CONTAINS($Api.Partner_Server_URL_100,"salesforce.com"),
HYPERLINK("/lightning/r/"&OwnerId&"/view/",Owner.FirstName & " " & Owner.LastName),
HYPERLINK("contact/"&OwnerId&"/view/",Owner.FirstName & " " & Owner.LastName))

p.s. What are you doing wrong? Especting Salesforce to provide basic, consistent, common-sense UI functionality OOTB after 20+ years in businesss.
Amy Raisbeck RestrepoAmy Raisbeck Restrepo
I found this in the trailhead forum and thought i´d share it here because I was looking to do the exact same thing:

Datatype: FORMULA  
Result Type: TEXT
Formula: 

HYPERLINK( Lookup_Contact__c ,  Lookup_Contact__r.FirstName  + " " +  Lookup_Contact__r.LastName)

In place of "lookup_contact__c you have to put the field that is the lookup field to your contact record, and then for the other 2 its just the specific contact fields with the name and last name.