function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rfanningrfanning 

Custom Objects that should not show up in "Recent Items"

Hi,

I have some custom objects that should not show up in the "Recent Items" portion of the Salesforce website.  How do I prevent my custom objects from showing up in the "Recent Items" portion of the Salesforce website?

Background information: the purpose of my application is to keep track of some metadata in the background (via the custom objects) and display this metadata to the user in a nice format.  Depending on different actions a user may take, custom objects get inserted, updated, and deleted.  However, each record of a custom object means nothing to the end user on its own.  Thus, I need to prevent them from being able to see the data in the custom object record outside of the context of the application.  Only Salesforce admins have custom tabs that can access these custom objects for this very reason.

Anxiously awaiting a reply.

Thanks,

Ryne

flewellsflewells
I think the trick is to not have a tab for these custom objects.  Can you do without a tab?
rfanningrfanning
No - I cannot do without a tab because administrators might need to edit or view this data.  However, to a standard user this data does not mean anything, so a standard user 1) does not have access to the tab and 2) SHOULD not see the item in Recent Items (current behavior : the item is showing up in Recent Items).
flewellsflewells

While not exactly the same user experience as having a tab, Administrators can view and edit data for your custom objects even if you don't have a tab for it....as long as custom objects have a Master-Detail or Lookup relationship on it. 

If you have a Master-Detail or Lookup relationship on your custom objects, Administrators can see the custom object related list on the page layout of the object.  You can have different page layouts for Administrators and regular users such that only Administrators get to see your custom object related lists.

My experience is limited here, but you may also want to explore the idea of creating a Visualforce tab or page.

rfanningrfanning
Some of my custom objects have a master-detail or Lookup relationship to other objects (like Contact).  But some of the custom objects have no relationships to other objects.
rfanningrfanning

I have confirmed that removing the custom object tab does keep the custom object from the 'Recent Items' list. 

But I need an alternate solution since my application is in 'Managed - Released' State and custom object tabs cannot be removed from released packages.

Another unfortunate side effect of removing the custom object tabs is that I would need to manage the CRUD operations on the custom objects myself, most likely via Visualforce custom tabs.

It seems like a Salesforce issue/bug/problem that a user that does not have access to a custom object's tab (thus preventing CRUD operations) can view the same object in the 'Recent Items', click on the custom object and perform the CRUD operations from that location on Salesforce.

rfanningrfanning

Could someone from Salesforce comment on the situation described in this post?

Thanks,

Ryne

LJHConsultingLJHConsulting
Try our product "Recent Items Pro", you can define what and how many you wan users to see. Find us on Appexchange : https://sites.secure.force.com/appexchange/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000001tSSoEAM