function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jcohanallroundsjcohanallrounds 

Condition visiblity on fields in an object

Is there a way to have fields or groups of fields be visible/invisible based on the choice of a picklist field.

For example if VehicleType is 'Car' then fields pertaining to Car such as NumberOfDoors, Transmission etc are visible

and if VehicleType is 'Bike" then fields pertaining to Bike are visible such as  HandleBarType,  BikeSeatType 

I would like to put all the fields of all the VehicleTypes in one object and have the appropriate fields be visible or not depending on what the user selects from the picklist.  

Is this possible?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
My understanding of RecordTypes is that it will display layout fields/picklist items based on the profile of the user.  Will RecordTypes also handle the case in which based on the value of the PickList value i.e. Vehichle List = 'Car' only the 'Car' Layout will be seen? (regardless of the profile of the user;  the layout will be chosen based on a value of a picklist not based on the profile of the user)
Message Edited by jcohanallrounds on 03-23-2009 11:11 AM
Message Edited by jcohanallrounds on 03-23-2009 12:07 PM

All Answers

shillyershillyer

You can do this with Record Types. One can be Car and the other Bike, depending on what the user selects, they will be redirected to different page layouts containing the appropriate fields.

Hope that helps,

Sati

My understanding of RecordTypes is that it will display layout fields/picklist items based on the profile of the user.  Will RecordTypes also handle the case in which based on the value of the PickList value i.e. Vehichle List = 'Car' only the 'Car' Layout will be seen? (regardless of the profile of the user;  the layout will be chosen based on a value of a picklist not based on the profile of the user)
Message Edited by jcohanallrounds on 03-23-2009 11:11 AM
Message Edited by jcohanallrounds on 03-23-2009 12:07 PM
This was selected as the best answer
Jillian80Jillian80

Hey J C

I have the same question as you and I don't understand the person's solution that you accepted. Were you able to do this or did someone else help you out with it?

Message Edited by Jillian80 on 04-06-2009 10:20 AM
Yes, I was able to get this to work.  What I did not realize is if you have say 4 types {Car, Bike, Truck, Boat} you need 4 record types one for Car, one for Bike, one for Truck and one for Boat.  With the four different Record Types you will most likely have 4Page Layouts where you layout the fields particular to those types i.e.  Car Layout Page, Bike Layout Page,  Truck Page Layout, Boat Page Layout.
Vận Tải Xe LạnhVận Tải Xe Lạnh
You can refer to the following  refrigerated truck websites: https://vantaixelanh.com (https://vantaixelanh.com/)
Inbox me if you have any question. Thanks