function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jcohanallroundsjcohanallrounds 

Condition Visiblity of fields based on a value of picklist (not based on a users profile)

Is there a way to control if fields are visible in a page layout which is based on the value of a PickList selection (this is different than visibility of fields based on a RecordType which is controlled by the Role of the user)?

if the user selects a picklist VehicleType = 'Car' on a tab then the sections with Car related fields is displayed.  If the user selects VehicleType = "Bike" on a tab then the section with Bike related fields are displayed.  Thus you put all the fields for all vehicles: bike, car, boat, airplane etc in one object and the visibility of the fields will driven by the value of VehicleType selected by the user.

[This is different than hiding values in picklist based on RecordType, since the user is going to select the VehichleType once he begins editting the record and selects the VehicleType and the appropriate fields related to that choice will be visible , and the fields that are not related to that VehicleType will be invisible]

SuperfellSuperfell
You keep saying its not a recordType, but it sounds exactly like a recordType.

My understanding is that the  user's profile and various RecordTypes determines the page layout that the end user will see, is this correct?

However what I am asking is something a little different.  Will RecordTypes handle the situation in which fields become visible if he selects a particular Picklist item.  This issue is that the visible fields are not determined by the users Profile but based on the selection that he makes once he selects the Picklist item

example

-----------

is there a property on the fields  such as  if(Picklist.VehicleType = "Car" ) then CarMake.visible ='true' else CarMake.Visible = 'false'

SuperfellSuperfell
the combination of recordtype and/or profile can switch the layout, i believe you can do everything you want by using recordTypes.
Just to make sure I understand what I think you are saying.  The user would edit the RecordType field select what type of Type the record is and then the appropriate page layout will be available, is this correct?
SuperfellSuperfell
Yes
shillyershillyer

jcohanallrounds wrote:
Just to make sure I understand what I think you are saying.  The user would edit the RecordType field select what type of Type the record is and then the appropriate page layout will be available, is this correct?

They don't even need to edit the Record Type. Once you setup 2 Record Types, as soon as the user creates a new record, they will be prompted with a page to select which Record Type (shown here).

Once the user makes their selection, they will see the related page layout. If they want to change, they can always change the Record Type and switch to the other layout.

Hope that helps,

Sati

Was there something special that you did to get this "New Test" Record Type selector to show up which then chooses the correct page layout?  I have multiple record types and I have not been able to get this first screen with the pulldown list of the Record Type.

SuperfellSuperfell
You have to make sure that the set of recordtypes is assigned to the profile.
To clarify (i apologize for the confusion),  I have two users that have the  same profile,  John and Mike.  Both John and Mike have the ability to select  Car or Bike.  if either of them enter a new Vehicle record the first thing they would see is the Recordtype picklist {Car, Bike} and if John selects Car he goes to the Car layout and if he selects Bike he is sent to Bike layout.  Same thing for Mike, is this correct?
SuperfellSuperfell
Create a recordType for Car and a recordType for Bike, assign the relevant page layouts, for the profile that John & Mike have, make sure that both records types are assigned to that profile. when they goto create a new record, they'll be prompted to pick the record type first.
Pal2011Pal2011

Do you find any solution for this? I've to implement same functionality without changing the record type