function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CMaineCMaine 

Cannot do cross object field update

I know that cross-object workflow and updating was part of the Spring 09 release, but I can't get it to work. The documentation says there is some setup necessary and I have a tier two case out for it.. but has anyone gotten to work?

Release notes:

"Spring '09 provides the following capabilities related to workflow rules and approval processes. Cross-Object Workflow for Custom Objects in Spring ’09, you can perform cross-object field updates using workflow rules. For standard objects, workflow rules can only perform field updates on the object related to the rule. The exceptions are that both Case Comments and Email Messages can perform cross-object field updates on Cases. For all custom objects, however, you can create workflow actions where a change to a detail record updates a field on the related master record. Cross-object field updates only work for master/detail relationships. For example, in a custom recruiting application, create a workflow rule that sets the status of an application (the master object) to "Closed" when a candidate (the detail object) accepts the job. Or, for standard objects, create a rule to change the status of a case from "Awaiting Customer Response" to "In Progress" when customer adds a case comment."

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
CMaineCMaine
I got a response back from support, apparently they didn't roll this all out with the spring '09 release.

At this point, Tier 3 has enabled the Spring '09 Workflow and Roll-Up Summary Field Evaluations update for your organization. Please go to Setup | Critical Updates and click "Review" for this update to review the possible impact of activating it. We also strongly encourage you to review "What is the Spring '09 Workflow Rule and Roll-Up Summary Field Evaluations Update?" in the Help & Training.

Once you have reviewed this information, click "Activate" to install the update. Once this has been done you should have the ability to create cross-object field updates as described in the Help & Training documentation.

I'll need to check with some other developers before I can implement, but I think this can be marked as solved.

All Answers

shillyershillyer

What can't you get to work? As soon as you create the Master-detail between your custom objects, you should be able to perform a field update on the Master when the Child has been updated. This is in my DE org without Support intervening.

Hope that helps,

Sati

CMaineCMaine

These are custom objects- I have a parent object called Goals the child object is Goal Measurement (GM). The workflow is like this

Goal Measurement selected as workflow object

Record=New

where

Record Type=Dollar Amount Goal Measurement

(basically whenever a new record is created)

I go to  create a new field update and the option to update is only available for the GM object the workflow is on (goal measurement). 

shillyershillyer

Sounds like you have it setup correctly. So when you create the Field Update and you select Goal Measurement as the Object, you don't see a drop-down to select the Goal Object (see image)?

Best,

Sati

CMaineCMaine

Ha- I've never seen that drop down available on the screen. It's obviously a system error. That makes me happy, I thought I was going nuts. Thanks.

I'll post the outcome of this when support gets back to me. 

Message Edited by CMaine on 03-26-2009 10:10 AM
brailmbrailm
I have exactly the same problem. I did not log a case because I concluded that the issue was that my custom objects are the child and grandchild of the opportunity record. Could this be the case?
CMaineCMaine

My objects are completely independent and the parent only has a lookup to the user object. From the documentatiion (the little available) it seems to me that your situation would only be an issue if you were trying to update the opp record from the child of that... They've responded that they are working on it but aren't giving me more than that. I'll post when there is a solution.

-Chris

CMaineCMaine
I got a response back from support, apparently they didn't roll this all out with the spring '09 release.

At this point, Tier 3 has enabled the Spring '09 Workflow and Roll-Up Summary Field Evaluations update for your organization. Please go to Setup | Critical Updates and click "Review" for this update to review the possible impact of activating it. We also strongly encourage you to review "What is the Spring '09 Workflow Rule and Roll-Up Summary Field Evaluations Update?" in the Help & Training.

Once you have reviewed this information, click "Activate" to install the update. Once this has been done you should have the ability to create cross-object field updates as described in the Help & Training documentation.

I'll need to check with some other developers before I can implement, but I think this can be marked as solved.
This was selected as the best answer