function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JodieBJodieB 

Pre-populating and linking fields

Hi Everyone,

I just spoke to premium support about this but they said they couldn't help and suggested I ask here.

In the cases section the email address and phone number are automatically populated from the contact details.  Does anyone know how I can get other fields to populate in this way.  For example on the Assets section how do I get the "Account name" on the contact page to feed through automatically along with the contact email address and phone number?

Thanks

Jodie

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

You can do this with cross-object formula fields. There is already a relationship between Assets and Contacts, so go to Setup | Customize | Assets and create a new field of type Formula. If you want the Account Name to show up automatically after selecting a Contact, your formula would be:

Contact.Account.Name

You can create two more formula fields for Contact Email and Phone.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

shillyershillyer

You can do this with cross-object formula fields. There is already a relationship between Assets and Contacts, so go to Setup | Customize | Assets and create a new field of type Formula. If you want the Account Name to show up automatically after selecting a Contact, your formula would be:

Contact.Account.Name

You can create two more formula fields for Contact Email and Phone.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
JodieBJodieB

Thank you so much for your help Sati - Thats working great.

Just one more question - is it possible to do this when the original field is a pick list? We have a pick list of countries and I would like the value set in the account picklist to feed through to the contacts section.

Thanks

Jodie

shillyershillyer

Yes - you have to use the CASE function to compare the value and then display. Check out this example.

Hope that helps,

Sati