function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bing OwensBing Owens 

help needed with uploading contact information - initial upload to sales force

I am brand new to Sales Force, and I am getting ready to upload my contacts information.  I plan to upload both a listing of all my individual contacts, and a listing of organizations that I work with. 

For the contact upload, I am attempting to determine how to tell Sales Force who my contacts work for.  Specifically, I have an organization ID for each individual in my current database, but I do not see a similar field in the Sales Force dataset.  Is there one?  If not, how do I tell sales force which organization each of my contacts are employed by?

Thanks in advance,

Bing
RickyGRickyG
Bing -

I think you want to use what is called an external key on the Force.com platform.  An external key is used to establish a relationship when you load data.

For instance, some of your contacts might belong to a department called "Accounts Payable", and have that value in the contact record.  You would go to the organization record, add a column and designate it as an external key (and probably as unique).  When you go to upload the contacts with Data Loader, you will be prompted as to which external (or internal) key to use to establish the relationship.

Hope this helps.  The technique is demonstrated in this Webinar on Data Loader.