function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BeccyLBeccyL 

Custom Link to populate fields w/ data from other objects

Hello everyone,

Currently, I would like to create a custom link on my contracts form that when pushed, looks up information from the linked account and populates that information into fields on the contracts form. Can any help me with the syntax of this link? I've created links that create new records and pass information to the new records, but I'm stumped on how to reference the "current record" or how to pull the data from the already "linked" object.

Please also feel free to share any links to information on basic custom link syntax.

Thanks,
B
SteveBowerSteveBower
This would, I believe, entail linking to a custom s-control you have written which could be given the current contact record, pull data from the linked account, do an update into the current contact record and bring you back to the edit page for the contact.

This isn't that hard, but I'm not sure there is a simpler way to do it, but I'd love to hear one if there is.

Steve.
Carl_VCarl_V
There is a much simpler way - add a custom link to account page ie. 'Create new Contract' and in the URL you pass the required fields from account.

Just sorting this myself - will post once I have a working example.

Regards,
Carl

Carl_VCarl_V
Check this out on similar topic from Ron Hess.

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=general_development&message.id=6558&query.id=4282#M6558
DJ-ITDJ-IT

Could you please alloborate on the step by step process (especially if any code is involved) If I were interested in:

Creating a custom link on the opportunity tab that provided data from a field on the account tab?

Thank you,

Jeri

TCAdminTCAdmin
This thread has the instructions for doing this.
thread