function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VikasVikas 

How would you grade and compare the Sforce development with MS.NET; Java ; PHP : PERL

Hi Team,

Did any of the members of this community did some research on which technology is best for Sforce Development Projects. As we have toolkits available for PHP, .NET, Java and Perl.

How we can rate them at the scale of 1 being just okay and 3 being best?

Thanks,
Ron HessRon Hess
Depends on where you are going to run your code, lately i've been writing AJAX JavaScript to build small features that fit into and execute directly from the app, i think this is the easiest way to develop "on demand".

the others you mention all run on a local system and would be useful for building integrations, so you have to ask , when integrating, what language is best for accessing the other system to be linked / integrated

i've seen .NET used for lots of desktop type tools to view / modify your data, see sforce explorer example.

Java is very popular, good choice for industrial strength integrations,

PHP and Perl are lots of fun to use to write small export scrips and some integrations, this mostly is called for when your programers are perl junkies. I like perl when the work calls for using the modules like UserAgent and HTMLForm, but the other langs all have these type of libs too.

if you look at the postings on the different boards, you will see Java and .NET get more postings ( therefore more developers ?) than VBA, PHP and Perl, so if popularity is a factor you can rank them that way.

bottom line , use whatever you are most comfortable with, then switch if you need more performance or if you need to integrate with a specific environment, but by then you have learned the API tricks with a lang you are used to.
SuperfellSuperfell
I think its easier to get up and running with either .NET or Java because their SOAP stacks are more mature, but at the end of the day, its probably more important to pick a platform that you're already confortable with.
darozdaroz
Some things to consider:

1. What are you going to do with it? Is it client-side code, server-side, webpage presentation code?
2. What environment are you going to need to run the code in? Server-side, MS, Linux? In a browser, Firefox / Mozilla / IE?
3. Do you need sync / async calls?
4. Are you adding on to something already existing?

Each toolkit has it's purpose. I use .NET for server-side record monitoring because I need to integrate to some COM objects on MS Windows. Client-side code is a mix of .NET, Java, and JS (AJAX toolkit). JS for in-browser pieces, Java for our Mail Merge replacement or heavy integrations, and a .NET app or two that provides an agent desktop / popups for some users.

Each has it's reasons, and will be different for each person.