function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
orzikorzik 

SForce Connector PE

I have used SForce Connector for EEdition for about 1yr. .. it is great for me as admin. Now I do not want to give it to all users due to a fact that they do not understand how data is structured and above all they can delete records.
I would release SFConnector PE edition if it can be used to update records (Opportunities, contacts and accounts)? I have never used it and from what I have read it is only for custom objects import?
Any assistance appreciated...

Thanks,
greg
ScotScot
Unfortunately for your goal, the Connector for PE has the same capabilities as the one for EE. The only differences, aside from a possible lag in the release of fixes or features, is that
   1)  It has extra code in it to allow it to work when other use of the API is disabled 
   2)  All the code is protected ... it can't be viewed and edited.

Though it's more effort, you might consider making a modified version of the open-source version that removes the capabilities you don't want the users to have, and then packaging that version with protection to prevent editing it.

Changes to prevent deletion and to limit the tables that can be found would not be very difficult ...
orzikorzik
Scot,
Thanks for prompt help.
I am initermediate VBA user and should be able to tackle disabling Delete function. Not sure though how to package it and prevent edits... any pointers?

Thanks,
greg
ScotScot
Ah - that part (the protection) is easy.
To protect the VBA project,
Assuming:
- You are working with a copy of sforce_connect.xla ...
- You are in Office 2003 Excel
Then:
> In the Visual Basic Editor,
> Locate the .xla in the Project Browser.
> Right click, and choose "Properties"
> Pick the tab labeled "Protection"
> Check "Lock project for viewing" and enter a password.
orzikorzik
Thanks Scot!
adamgadamg
The connector code is tricky (VB ain't pretty), but you'll find you should be able to remove the delete option from the menu but commenting out a line or two.. I can't recall the exact location but the 'setup' code programmatically creates the menu.
orzikorzik
Does anyone had problem with removing "SForce Connector" from excel...
When I go to tools>Add-ins and remove checkbox for connector the menu stays in. This used to work for me in the past. I even removed the XLA file... yet the menu still shows up...
Any ideas what to do to remove the menu...
I am modifying the code to remove "Delete" function... that is why I have the need to show new menu items.
Thanks,
orzik