function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bryan WagstaffBryan Wagstaff 

Want success story: automated tests, FitNesse or anything else over http SalesForce.com

Manual testing of these systems is tedius, especially as our Enterprise solution grows.

We've been using NUnit and FitNesse for our local projects for quite some time and enjoy them. For anybody who hasn't discovered it, after you try TDD the way things work here feel completely amature. TDD gives you assurance that a change to one page or class doesn't accidently break anything else, and helps ensure that you only build the things you need.

I've been trying to get FitNesse HTML test fixtures in place for our SalesForce.com content. I'm getting frustrated with how difficult this is, compared to the relative ease of our own local software.

I see no reason why we should spend hours to manually test the entire solution (possibly missing test paths) after making a set of changes. Automated testing tools are able to do it in seconds, or perhaps minutes since it's all through HTTP. What a waste of my team's time! Unfortunately working with the generated names and HTML fixtures has been quite a pain.

I'm not looking for testing the local code and portals, since we already have our other code under test.

Has anybody been able to successfully use automated test tools against SalesForce.com?

If so, please share your experiences.
SuperfellSuperfell
Internally we have a large test suite using JUnit that does a lot of testing via the web services API, using an Axis based web services client. (A full run of the test suite generates ~25k api requests).

At previous gigs, Silk has been really popular for automated testing of browser based apps. I've found that the HtmlUnit style approach does seem to be a lot of work and fairly brittle.