function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dharamdharam 

salesforce integration with external application

hi,

while adding a new contact at salesforce.com from 'Create New Contact' screen and clicking 'Save' button, i want the data entered to be validated from an external application at the click of a button.

how would this be possible? what integration mechanism could be used (web services, custom objects/tabs etc)?

thanks in advance,
dharamvir
gscott_castirongscott_castiron
Hi dharamvir,

There is no simple way to validate upon entering new data into salesforce.com, within Salesforce.com itself. You could integrate through the SForce API by having a background process look for new records and then validate them in the background. Depending on the type of validation you may be able to then fixup invlaid records automatically, or notify somebody via an email that the record needs to be updated manually.

You can do this either writing custom code (Java or .Net) or through a commercial product. My company, Cast Iron Systems, makes an integraiton appliance that can do exactly that through a simple configuration interface, requiring no coding. Our appliance-based approach allows you to complete salesforce.com integration projects in days. You can get more information on our website (www.castironsys.com) or on AppExchange.

George
--
Cast Iron Systems Inc.
www.castironsys.com
TechOwlTechOwl
I know that this question is now ~17 months old, so my reply has little significance to the question's author; however, I am posting this for anyone who may still have a similar concern.

A scenario such as this -- clicking 'Save' button...and...the data entered to be validated from an external application -- can be easily accomplished now with "post winter '07 release" functionality like outbound messaging workflow rules.  To use outbound messaging, you simply need to build a web service that can (1) except the message / payload coming out of SFDC, and (2) reply to SFDC with a receipt status.

As an earlier posting in the thread indicates, Cast Iron Systems provides a tool that enables this quite easily, but one can also develop a custom-coded solution in .NET or Java that accomplishes the same thing.

Using Cast Iron (CI), for example, along with SFDC outbound messaging workflow to accomplish such a scenario actually requires that (1) the data is saved with SFDC with the click of the button, (2) the outbound message is sent to & received by the CI appliance which processes it (orchestration), and then (3) updates SFDC accordingly based on the validation rules and information in the external system.  This process happens very quickly typically so there is little latency to annoy the user.

If you need additional options...

Pervasive Software (Business Integrator) and/or Scribe Software (Scribe Insight) may also have the ability to provide a web service for SFDC consumption similarly to Cast Iron.

Also Aberris Consulting is one company that has expertise with custom coded solutions as well as  integrations & implementations using the aforementioned tools/products.

saariko.ax241saariko.ax241

indeed, an old thread but the Outbound message answer was exactly what I am looking for.

thank you @ TechOwl