function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sparkysparky 

User can't change rectype of record they own

For a custom object, one of my users is unable to change the record type of a record she owns.  The "change" link simply does not appear for her.  It does appear for me as sysadmin.

I've double-checked that her profile has full CRUD permissions on the object, has access to all of the record types, and has field permissions on the Record Type field.  I've also logged in as her in sandbox, and double-checked that she's not just mis-reporting this.

What else would prevent her from being able to change the rectype?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sparkysparky

I figured this out, and it was just a silly oversight on my part.  The Record Type field was set as read only on the layout.  I didn't think to look there, since it's not edited as part of the regular record-edit screen, but setting it to read only does hide the link from all but profiles w/ Edit All Data.

All Answers

joker402joker402

are you sure the user is not in Edit mode?

Typically you cannot change record type in edit

sparkysparky
Yes, I'm sure.  I do know how this works, and it works for me as administrator, just not when I'm signed in as this user.
sparkysparky

I figured this out, and it was just a silly oversight on my part.  The Record Type field was set as read only on the layout.  I didn't think to look there, since it's not edited as part of the regular record-edit screen, but setting it to read only does hide the link from all but profiles w/ Edit All Data.

This was selected as the best answer
joker402joker402

good to know. 

i only mentioned the edit mode thing as i have noticed with custom objects when you first create, you are in edit mode as default and can make changing the record types tricky 

Andrea Veronica DeVeyraAndrea Veronica DeVeyra

What did you do to solve this? I am unable to change the record type too. Where do I see the part where I can disable the part of "read only?"