function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kjpetersonkjpeterson 

Validation Rule or Workflow Update when owner is changed

Is there anyone to have validation rules and workflow updates fire when a user does the Change Owner feature?  Currently none of them seem to fire.
werewolfwerewolf

This is just off the top of my head, but I'd expect this would work in your validation rules or as a formula criteria in workflow:

ISCHANGED(OwnerId)

Try that.

kjpetersonkjpeterson
That's what I had tried, sorry I didn't include it.  The Change Owner page seems to not use any of the normal features.
shillyershillyer

I tried this for both a validation rule and workflow and it worked. My workflow rule fired when the owner changed and then did a field update. Where are you seeing the problem?

Best,

Sati

thunksalotthunksalot

When I use ISCHANGED in my workflow rule with "formula evaluates to true" option, I'm getting this error...

Error: Function ISCHANGED may not be used in this type of formula

My formula is simply what you listed above:

ISCHANGED(OwnerId)

Any help much appreciated!

-Sam

thunksalotthunksalot

I figured it out.  In order to use the ISCHANGED() function, you apparently have to have the Evaluation Criteria option set to "Every time a record is created or edited". 

I had had it set to "When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria"

brentdowneybrentdowney
How would I do this if I wanted a field to update only when the owner is being changed from a specific user? For example, Joe Smith owns the record, but when the ownership is transferred to anyone in the company, I want the status field to be updated.