function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EricVlachEricVlach 

Force.com plugin in Eclipse - no force.com perspective, no force.com new project wizard.

Bottom line: I have apex classes I want to deploy to my live org, and I see there are only two ways - using the eclipse with force.com IDE plugin, or the Migration tool. Going with the first option:

I successfully followed the first 5 instructions on this page
http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation_for_Eclipse_3.3.x : Force.com IDE Installation for Eclipse 3.3.x

On the last step number 6, I see no force.com perspective, and under open > new > other, there is nothing related to force.com. Is there something else I need to do to get started using the force.com plugin? It seems fool proof, but I'm stuck. If anyone has another, simpler way of deploying apex classes, I'm all ears!

All the updates i downloaded and installed are Enabled... so why can't I find them?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
EricVlachEricVlach
well now...

For shoots and giggles, I downloaded the 'Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers' and tried using that. It required an update of the Java Virtual Machine. (I suspect that might have been the issue?) Of course, version 3.4.1 is incompatible with the plugin, so I closed it and re-opened 'eclipse classic' Version: 3.3.2, (the one I originally used) and now the Force.com perspective is there.

My mind just got blown... I wont even try to figure out how that happened. I spent 45 minutes looking through all the docs, changing preferences, restarting the computer... It's MaGiCaL!

All Answers

JonPJonP
Can you confirm which version/build of Eclipse you are using, as well as your OS (looks like Windows XP)?

Usually this issue is caused by a missing dependency.  I see you've installed the WST plug-in, which should be all you need to add if you started with Eclipse 3.3.2 for Java Developers.  If you got a different Eclipse download, there's a possibility you'll need to install additional plug-ins.

Jon
salesforce.com Product Manager
EricVlachEricVlach
well now...

For shoots and giggles, I downloaded the 'Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers' and tried using that. It required an update of the Java Virtual Machine. (I suspect that might have been the issue?) Of course, version 3.4.1 is incompatible with the plugin, so I closed it and re-opened 'eclipse classic' Version: 3.3.2, (the one I originally used) and now the Force.com perspective is there.

My mind just got blown... I wont even try to figure out how that happened. I spent 45 minutes looking through all the docs, changing preferences, restarting the computer... It's MaGiCaL!
This was selected as the best answer
JonPJonP
Out of curiosity, what JVM were you using before?
EricVlachEricVlach
I'm *pretty sure* it said I had 1.4, and needed to up it to 1.5, but I didn't pay close attention.

although on the java.com site the only download they had was for "free java download" version 6 update 11. I guess that updated the JVM to whatever is current.
JonPJonP
That makes sense.  The Force.com IDE requires JRE 1.5 (aka Java SE 5) or higher, as listed in the Prerequisites section at the top of the install instructions wiki page.  I've simplified the text a little to hopefully make it more readable.