function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SATable-MarkSATable-Mark 

Tabs and Custom Objects

Hi guys

I have developed a custom object. However, I would not like it to appear as a tab but would still like to let users add records to it.

How can users add records to a custom object when there's no tab attached to that object.

Thanks

Mark

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RatherGeekyRatherGeeky
You have to add the child related list to the master object page layout. So, go the page layout, locate the Related Lists section and drag the child related list to appear on the page layout. From there you can customize which buttons appear (such as "new") by editing the related list properties.

That will allow a user to view the master record and then scroll down to the child related list and click "New."

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf

You can add it as a related list to another object, if it's related to something else, and that related list will have a New button.

SATable-MarkSATable-Mark

I have created a master-detail relationship as indicated. The child (which has a tab)  now has a lookup field to the parent which is fine. However, when I click onto Lookup there is no button that indicates that a user can create a new master record. I have tried Read-only and read-write access, yet nothing seems to work.

Message Edited by SATable-Mark on 04-20-2009 04:12 AM
SATable-MarkSATable-Mark

Werewolf, I have created a related list that links to another custom object.

yet it is not possible for users to add records to this custom object, since there is no NEW button on the lookup feature. I could create another tab to this object, but this is not what I want to do.

RatherGeekyRatherGeeky
You have to add the child related list to the master object page layout. So, go the page layout, locate the Related Lists section and drag the child related list to appear on the page layout. From there you can customize which buttons appear (such as "new") by editing the related list properties.

That will allow a user to view the master record and then scroll down to the child related list and click "New."
This was selected as the best answer