function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
cwoodcwood 

API Down?

(Copied from the Perl/PHP board, since it's not language-specific.)

I have some code that has been running successfully against v2.5 of the SOAP API that suddenly stopped working today and instead throws a CURL/SSL error. I also get an error, which I assume I shouldn't, when I simply try to use CURL to access the API server.

Has it moved from na1-api.salesforce.com:443?

$ curl -v https://na1-api.salesforce.com
* About to connect() to na1-api.salesforce.com port 443
* Trying 204.14.234.40... * connected
* Connected to na1-api.salesforce.com (204.14.234.40) port 443
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: /usr/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt
CApath: none
* Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to na1-api.salesforce.com:443
* Closing connection #0
curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to na1-api.salesforce.com:443
Thanks,
Charlie
SuperfellSuperfell
call support, they can give you an update.
pachucopachuco
I too am having a similar problem...since about 10:30 AM CST this morning.
cwoodcwood
Called support, checked the status recording. Sure enough, the API is down (as of 2:40p EST). I sure wish there was an automated way for applications to check this status. Then again, that might go down too. :-) Anyway, thanks for the pointer to support.

-Charlie
paul.cameronpaul.cameron
Any chance you could give us the update here so I don't have to call support?
anagramanagram
Thanks for posting the info here. I have customers asking me what's going on! So I know, how do I "call support" in the future?

Thanks,
Nicholas
cwoodcwood
1. Dial 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE (which is somewhat ironic in this case I suppose)
2. Choose "2" for tech support
3. Choose "2" for system status

Cheers,
Charlie
shillshill
The SFDC phone system appears to be down. Simon, is there anyone on the message board that can post an update? I've got 75+ clients with integration on hold...

Thank you,
Scott
SuperfellSuperfell
status.salesforce.com says

January 30, 2006 | 12:15 PM PST

The web application portion of the NA1 service (tabs, search, reports etc) is up and processing normally. The api portion is unavailable and will remain so until at least 1:00 pm PST while we continue to resolve an underlying database issue. While the api is unavailable the Outlook Edition products are also unavailable and the Offline Edition is unable to perform data synchronization. We continue to focus on fully restoring the api to service.
shillshill
That's great, thanks for the update!

Scott
cwoodcwood
status.salesforce.com is apprently for premium support customers only, so thanks very much for re-posting that message!
anagramanagram
Ironic indeed. Thanks! :)
ECCLisaECCLisa
There really ought to be a better way of notifying us of these unexpected outages. In addition to the system outage information via 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE (I'm still laughing about that!), an e-mail should have been sent to all System Administrators. That way, SF could have covered all their bases.
zachzach
Any chance you could post in here when it's up?

Thanks,
-Zach
ScotScot

I find it hard to understand why only premium support customers should get information about system status.

We all pay for the salesforce.com service.  We should all expect it to work.  Some downtime will occur.  But providing information when the system is down is not premium ... it's not optional ... it is, I feel, required.

SuperfellSuperfell

zach wrote:
Any chance you could post in here when it's up?

Thanks,
-Zach

Its back up.
thenslerthensler
Is anyone besides me getting tired of the incomplete information we receive on these emails?

My last two messages from SFDC:

====================
This one doesn't mention the API outage when it announces the system has been restored
====================
From: Salesforce.com Alerts [mailto:Alerts@salesforce.com]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 11:32 AM
To: Salesforce.com Alerts
Subject: Salesforce.com System Status

This message has been updated on January 30, 2006 at 11:31 AM PST.

The salesforce.com system is generally available and search functionality has been restored. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience to you, and your employees, customers and partners.

- Salesforce.com Premium Support

====================
This one mentions the half-hour inconvenience of the web interface (their timer, not mine), and not the hours that the API was unusable.
====================
From: Salesforce.com Alerts [mailto:Alerts@salesforce.com]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:20 PM
To: Salesforce.com Alerts
Subject: Salesforce.com System Status Update

This morning, some of our customers experienced intermittent access issues for about a half an hour. The problem was related to an issue with our database. The issue required that we restart the database, which caused the availability problems. The application is running normally now, and we continue to investigate the precise nature of the issue.

We realize that the exact length of any period of reduced availability can understate the inconvenience experienced. We apologize to our customers and will continue to work to improve the performance of the system.

- Salesforce.com Premium Support
SuperfellSuperfell
I understand that you're frustrated, however your best course of action is to raise this issue with your premium support contact.
ScotScot

At least you got a notice.

Message Edited by Scot on 01-31-2006 06:02 PM